Mar 11, 2010, 10:43 AM EDT
The NBA knows what you want. That’s why it’s FANtastic! So when Commissioner Stern searched through the deepest, darkest recesses of the collective fan unconscious, and has given every basketball enthusiast what they really, truly desire: a ton of Washington Wizards game in as short of a stretch as possible.
…eventually, the Wizards were going to have to deal with the hoopocalypse — a grueling avalanche of games that finds them playing five times in six nights in four different cities. After playing their rescheduled game against the Hawks on Thursday at Verizon Center, they will face Detroit in Auburn Hills, Mich., on Friday and host the Orlando Magic on Saturday. Then, after playing a rare back-to-back-to-back set, the Wizards will travel to play back-to-back road games in Utah and Denver.
“The rock star tour,” Saunders joked. “We’re going total AAU basketball after this. Games every day.”
No team has been forced to play this many games in such a close period of time since the lockout-shortened season in 1998-99, when the league had to cram a 50-game schedule into four months.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 19
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5