Mar 11, 2010, 10:43 AM EDT
The NBA knows what you want. That’s why it’s FANtastic! So when Commissioner Stern searched through the deepest, darkest recesses of the collective fan unconscious, and has given every basketball enthusiast what they really, truly desire: a ton of Washington Wizards game in as short of a stretch as possible.
…eventually, the Wizards were going to have to deal with the hoopocalypse — a grueling avalanche of games that finds them playing five times in six nights in four different cities. After playing their rescheduled game against the Hawks on Thursday at Verizon Center, they will face Detroit in Auburn Hills, Mich., on Friday and host the Orlando Magic on Saturday. Then, after playing a rare back-to-back-to-back set, the Wizards will travel to play back-to-back road games in Utah and Denver.
“The rock star tour,” Saunders joked. “We’re going total AAU basketball after this. Games every day.”
No team has been forced to play this many games in such a close period of time since the lockout-shortened season in 1998-99, when the league had to cram a 50-game schedule into four months.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47