Mar 11, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Of all the teams poised to make a run at a top free agent in the summer of 2010, none have a young star like Bulls point guard Derrick Rose. If the Nets manage to land the first overall pick and John Wall, there may be some debate, but even if that happens Rose has already proven himself in the NBA. Of all the factors that will weigh into the decisions of players like LeBron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwyane Wade in 2010, the chance to play with Rose for the next several years could be a major selling point.
Rose spoke with FanHouse’s Tim Potvak this afternoon, and made it clear that he’s very excited about the prospect of Chicago landing a big-time free agent:
By trading away John Salmons and his $6.4 million contract last month, the Bulls became one of eight teams that can offer a maximum salaried contract to one of the free agent stars this summer.
James, Wade and Bosh all have had their interests linked to the Bulls at some point this season.
“I’d be fine with any one of them,” Rose said. “One of them would be great. They’d all fit well here. I think we’ve got a good shot. Why wouldn’t they want to come to Chicago? It’s a great market with loyal, die-hard fans.”
Because of his Chicago roots, Wade is the free agent most think Chicago will make the hardest play for during the summer of 2010. A Rose/Wade backcourt was one pick away from happening in Miami; in Chicago, the two of them could be an absolute destruction machine in the same backcourt. The thought of Rose running the pick-and-roll with Chris Bosh or doing just about anything with LeBron James playing on the weak side is certainly intriguing as well.
The Bulls don’t have the market that the Knicks can offer or chance to start a completely new franchise that the relocating Nets can offer. What they do have is a young star in Derrick Rose. In the summer of 2010, the chance to form a modern-day Jordan and Pippen combination where Jordan and Pippen once played might be what entices a marquee free agent to come to the Windy City.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 30
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 31
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23