Mar 11, 2010, 9:09 AM EDT
Mark Cuban is high on the Nets and Knicks.
That sentence may lead you to think that Mark Cuban is just plain high. But hear the man out, because he is the NBA owner with the best track record of turning a disaster of a franchise into a winner.
“I said this to Kiki and Rod both,” Cuban said about Nets coach and GM Kiki Vandeweghe and team president Rod Thorn, “there’s about a month, five weeks left in the regular season. In five weeks, them and the Knicks become the darlings of the NBA. They’re all anybody’s going to be talking about in regard to free agency.
“They’re gonna go from being zeroes to heroes. The guys in the locker room who will stick around over there, they’ll be talking about them as they’re key components in the next generation Nets.
“Five weeks. They’re going to be everybody’s darlings.”
Cuban is right about this — the Knicks and Nets this summer are going to be a lot more interesting than the Knicks and Nets this winter.
Both have some rebuilding potential. Donnie Walsh is taking heat from the New York media, because that is what they do. But in two years he has taken the worst, most bloated roster in the NBA and cleared out enough cap space to go after two max free agents. He may not get them, but he has cleared the decks to rebuild, which had to be step one.
The Nets have some nice young players — Brook Lopez, Devin Harris, and Chris Douglas-Roberts — and will have a lot of ping-pong balls in the John Wall sweepstakes this year. Plus they have the cap space to bring in a star to go with the young core and an owner coming in who makes Cuban look middle class.
But everybody’s darlings? Has anybody ever used the words “darling” and “New Jersey” in the same sentence before? I’m not seeing it. Sorry Mark.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11