Mar 11, 2010, 9:09 AM EDT
Mark Cuban is high on the Nets and Knicks.
That sentence may lead you to think that Mark Cuban is just plain high. But hear the man out, because he is the NBA owner with the best track record of turning a disaster of a franchise into a winner.
“I said this to Kiki and Rod both,” Cuban said about Nets coach and GM Kiki Vandeweghe and team president Rod Thorn, “there’s about a month, five weeks left in the regular season. In five weeks, them and the Knicks become the darlings of the NBA. They’re all anybody’s going to be talking about in regard to free agency.
“They’re gonna go from being zeroes to heroes. The guys in the locker room who will stick around over there, they’ll be talking about them as they’re key components in the next generation Nets.
“Five weeks. They’re going to be everybody’s darlings.”
Cuban is right about this — the Knicks and Nets this summer are going to be a lot more interesting than the Knicks and Nets this winter.
Both have some rebuilding potential. Donnie Walsh is taking heat from the New York media, because that is what they do. But in two years he has taken the worst, most bloated roster in the NBA and cleared out enough cap space to go after two max free agents. He may not get them, but he has cleared the decks to rebuild, which had to be step one.
The Nets have some nice young players — Brook Lopez, Devin Harris, and Chris Douglas-Roberts — and will have a lot of ping-pong balls in the John Wall sweepstakes this year. Plus they have the cap space to bring in a star to go with the young core and an owner coming in who makes Cuban look middle class.
But everybody’s darlings? Has anybody ever used the words “darling” and “New Jersey” in the same sentence before? I’m not seeing it. Sorry Mark.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 3
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 9
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4