Mar 11, 2010, 8:18 PM EST
Gilbert Arenas needs a new start. A new image. Kobe post Colorado, if you will.
So Arenas is taking one of the many steps Kobe took — he is changing his number. Arenas has always been Agent Zero. According to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, Arenas has petitioned the league for a number change to 6.
Arenas has worn No. 0 ever since he played college basketball at Arizona. Arenas said he wore the number because he was told he wouldn’t see any playing time at that the storied program.
The No. 6 is significant because Arenas’s birthday is Jan. 6 – which is also the day that the NBA gave Arenas an indefinite suspension for his behavior after it was revealed that he brought guns to the locker room at Verizon Center in a dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton.
Next season, Gilbert arenas will have the highest selling No. 6 jersey in the Association and… what? LeBron is changing to No. 6 next season? Well strike that.
What it does mean is that Mike Miller, the current owner of No. 6 in Washington, better enjoy his last month in the District.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 42
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8