Mar 11, 2010, 8:18 PM EST
Gilbert Arenas needs a new start. A new image. Kobe post Colorado, if you will.
So Arenas is taking one of the many steps Kobe took — he is changing his number. Arenas has always been Agent Zero. According to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, Arenas has petitioned the league for a number change to 6.
Arenas has worn No. 0 ever since he played college basketball at Arizona. Arenas said he wore the number because he was told he wouldn’t see any playing time at that the storied program.
The No. 6 is significant because Arenas’s birthday is Jan. 6 – which is also the day that the NBA gave Arenas an indefinite suspension for his behavior after it was revealed that he brought guns to the locker room at Verizon Center in a dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton.
Next season, Gilbert arenas will have the highest selling No. 6 jersey in the Association and… what? LeBron is changing to No. 6 next season? Well strike that.
What it does mean is that Mike Miller, the current owner of No. 6 in Washington, better enjoy his last month in the District.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 9
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5