Mar 11, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas needs a new start. A new image. Kobe post Colorado, if you will.
So Arenas is taking one of the many steps Kobe took — he is changing his number. Arenas has always been Agent Zero. According to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, Arenas has petitioned the league for a number change to 6.
Arenas has worn No. 0 ever since he played college basketball at Arizona. Arenas said he wore the number because he was told he wouldn’t see any playing time at that the storied program.
The No. 6 is significant because Arenas’s birthday is Jan. 6 – which is also the day that the NBA gave Arenas an indefinite suspension for his behavior after it was revealed that he brought guns to the locker room at Verizon Center in a dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton.
Next season, Gilbert arenas will have the highest selling No. 6 jersey in the Association and… what? LeBron is changing to No. 6 next season? Well strike that.
What it does mean is that Mike Miller, the current owner of No. 6 in Washington, better enjoy his last month in the District.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50