Mar 11, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas needs a new start. A new image. Kobe post Colorado, if you will.
So Arenas is taking one of the many steps Kobe took — he is changing his number. Arenas has always been Agent Zero. According to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, Arenas has petitioned the league for a number change to 6.
Arenas has worn No. 0 ever since he played college basketball at Arizona. Arenas said he wore the number because he was told he wouldn’t see any playing time at that the storied program.
The No. 6 is significant because Arenas’s birthday is Jan. 6 – which is also the day that the NBA gave Arenas an indefinite suspension for his behavior after it was revealed that he brought guns to the locker room at Verizon Center in a dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton.
Next season, Gilbert arenas will have the highest selling No. 6 jersey in the Association and… what? LeBron is changing to No. 6 next season? Well strike that.
What it does mean is that Mike Miller, the current owner of No. 6 in Washington, better enjoy his last month in the District.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 6
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29