Mar 11, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas needs a new start. A new image. Kobe post Colorado, if you will.
So Arenas is taking one of the many steps Kobe took — he is changing his number. Arenas has always been Agent Zero. According to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, Arenas has petitioned the league for a number change to 6.
Arenas has worn No. 0 ever since he played college basketball at Arizona. Arenas said he wore the number because he was told he wouldn’t see any playing time at that the storied program.
The No. 6 is significant because Arenas’s birthday is Jan. 6 – which is also the day that the NBA gave Arenas an indefinite suspension for his behavior after it was revealed that he brought guns to the locker room at Verizon Center in a dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton.
Next season, Gilbert arenas will have the highest selling No. 6 jersey in the Association and… what? LeBron is changing to No. 6 next season? Well strike that.
What it does mean is that Mike Miller, the current owner of No. 6 in Washington, better enjoy his last month in the District.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13