Mar 11, 2010, 11:32 AM EDT
Larry Brown took Allan Iverson’s career father than it ever has been. It seemed an odd-couple marriage, but Mr. Play The Right Way coached this shoot-first-and-always point guard all the way to the NBA Finals.
And he doesn’t think Iverson is done, he told the Charlotte Observer.
“He needs basketball and I think our league needs to take care of guys who have made a contribution,” Brown said of Iverson. “Maybe he’ll never play again at the level I saw him play at, but I think he can still help somebody.”
Iverson could still help someone, maybe even a contender. He still has shades of that offensive game that was so brilliant, so tough and heartfelt. But he has to accept a role — he is not option number one anymore. He could be the spark plug off the bench, that is what they wanted him to do in Memphis this year. And Detroit last year. And he couldn’t accept it.
But Brown is right, if he can change his mindset Iverson still has a place in the league.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final