Mar 10, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:31 pm: And as predictably as the tides comes the denial from ownership that they have even thought about this. Of course they haven’t it’s all just a media creation. Nobody else has talked about Jordan getting fired.
Peter Luukko, president and COO of Comcast-Spectacor, said Wednesday
morning that Sixers management hasn’t already decided to fire coach
10:21 am: Eddie Jordan did not lose the Sixers as coach, because that implies he at one point had them. The team has never looked comfortable trying to run his Princeton-like offense, and he has as much as admitted he has struggled to motivate and reach his players. In recent interviews he has seemed frustrated about it.
That spells doom for a coach — the Sixers are close to firing Jordan, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Comcast-Spectacor is ready to fire 76ers coach Eddie Jordan, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.
Several other sources also indicated that the organization will “seriously evaluate” Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski, who hired Jordan less than a year ago.
These reports leaking out that they are going to fire him at the end of the season may speed up that timeline, as the questions keep coming and the situation gets more uncomfortable or everyone involved.
Jordan did not reach the players, but the problem with the Sixers run deeper and Stefanski may bear more responsibility. While there’s a little young talent, the Sixers roster is hamstrung in efforts to rebuild by the massive Elton Brand contract. It was Stefanski that made that deal. And it is that deal and that roster that will make it hard for any new coach or general manager to work wonders.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14