Mar 10, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:31 pm: And as predictably as the tides comes the denial from ownership that they have even thought about this. Of course they haven’t it’s all just a media creation. Nobody else has talked about Jordan getting fired.
Peter Luukko, president and COO of Comcast-Spectacor, said Wednesday
morning that Sixers management hasn’t already decided to fire coach
10:21 am: Eddie Jordan did not lose the Sixers as coach, because that implies he at one point had them. The team has never looked comfortable trying to run his Princeton-like offense, and he has as much as admitted he has struggled to motivate and reach his players. In recent interviews he has seemed frustrated about it.
That spells doom for a coach — the Sixers are close to firing Jordan, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Comcast-Spectacor is ready to fire 76ers coach Eddie Jordan, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.
Several other sources also indicated that the organization will “seriously evaluate” Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski, who hired Jordan less than a year ago.
These reports leaking out that they are going to fire him at the end of the season may speed up that timeline, as the questions keep coming and the situation gets more uncomfortable or everyone involved.
Jordan did not reach the players, but the problem with the Sixers run deeper and Stefanski may bear more responsibility. While there’s a little young talent, the Sixers roster is hamstrung in efforts to rebuild by the massive Elton Brand contract. It was Stefanski that made that deal. And it is that deal and that roster that will make it hard for any new coach or general manager to work wonders.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2