Mar 10, 2010, 6:47 PM EDT
British comedian Russell Brand is big in his native land because he hosted a sister show to Big Brother (you know, the reality show that nobody here cares about each summer). You might know him best from his forgettable role in Forgetting Sarah Marshall (I say you might know him because I didn’t bother to see it).
Brand is in Los Angeles trying to strike it big on this side of the pond, and he got one of the biggest celebrity badges of honor in Los Angeles Tuesday night — courtside Lakers tickets. He was in the front row for Chris Bosh’s game-tying three and Kobe’s game winner.
“Kobe must focus on three balls because I refuse to wear underpants.”
“What is a Laker anyway? A sub aquatic Quaker? It doesn’t make sense.
“And they pick the ball up in their hands. God, I miss West Ham.”
Yes, nothing quite as gripping as three-points-clear-of-relegation West Ham football. Frankly, that team could be allowed to use their hands and it wouldn’t help.
Brand, little bit of advice from an Angelino whose entire family is in The Business. Trying to impress fellow celebrities and studio decision makers in this town by insulting the Lakers works about as well as telling them you’re a proud gun-toting Republican. Worse really. Because LA might not be the most religious of cities but if there is a church it is the Lakers.
But I do look forward to checking out your next straight-to-video release.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13