Mar 10, 2010, 9:41 AM EDT
Rafter Alston was not happy about losing his starting job, but that is not why he just went AWOL from the Miami Heat last week.
It was about being told he was no longer going to play and deciding that looking after a twin sister who tried to take her life just a few days earlier was more important.
“The way I handled it was wrong,” Alston said Tuesday in his first public comments since leaving the team last Friday. “I didn’t really tell [team officials] why I was leaving.”
Alston broke his silence to Ric Bucher of ESPN. Alston story of his twin sister, Racine, puts a different face on his decision. But not how he handed it, simply texting the team, is something he understandably regrets.
Alston is one of the few players to be able to transfer his And 1 street game — Skip to my Lou — to the NBA hardwood. He bounced around but had an 11-year career.
The announcement leaves the Heat in a bit of an awkward spot — just dumping him now makes the franchise come off as calloused. While this was poorly handled, if he had requested time off to be with his sister it would have been granted. Now they have a choice to make.
The challenge for Alston is that these types of incidents and his fearless, fiery personality mean other teams are not likely to pick him up. If you’re going to take a risk, you do it with someone 24 not 34.
“It’s been a tough and long year,” he said. “I’ll be 34 in July. If I can come back and play one more season, that would be great. But if not, I’m still happy with my decision. I played 11 years and had a solid career. Maybe I didn’t leave Miami the right way. But I left for the right reason.”
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54