Mar 9, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT
With Tony Parker sitting at home, eating fatty French foods and hanging out with wife Eva Longoria-Parker — sure, and resting his broken hand we suppose — the San Antonio Spurs have reached into the D-League for some bench depth at point guard.
According to Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Spurs are calling up Cedric Jackson out of Erie to come to the team.
If that name sounds a little familiar to Cavaliers fans, that’s because the Cleveland State graduate spent 20 days with the team before heading back down.
So what are the Spurs getting? Good question. A little lesson for young writers out there — when you don’t know, ask someone who does. I asked Matt Hubert of Blog Talk Bayhawk (the blog about the Erie team) and D-League Digest about Jackson.
He has been dealing with bruised ribs the past few games, but it hasn’t seemed to slow him down at all. He’s lightning quick with the ball, gets to the rim almost at will in the D-League and, along those same lines, he gets to the free throw line at a very high rate (and converts at a 72% clip). His decision-making has gotten better as the season has gone on, and he now has one of the top assist-to-turnover ratios in the D-League.
I think his game has a lot of similarities to Parker in terms of scoring points in the paint despite his stature. His biggest weakness, however, is his outside shooting. He’s much better creating off the dribble and scoring at the rim than hitting spot up jumpshots. Defensively, he’s very active and quick, averages better than 2 steals per game in the D-League.
So he is a drive-and-kick guard, which could work if paired with the right shooters on the Spurs. After this first 10-day stint, the guy will have spent 30 days in the NBA this season, a sign that he is doing it right in the minors. The only question now is can he translate his tame to the next level.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29