Mar 9, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
It’s either a delightful happenstance or a sign of the impending apocalypse: after shooting blanks from the arc all season long, Rasheed Wallace has finally stopped chucking threes at a ridiculous rate. From Zach Lowe of CelticsHub:
Rasheed Wallace has taken 3 three-pointers combined in the last three games. This is not quite as infrequent an occurrence as Halley’s Comet, but it’s about as rare as me voluntarily going clothes shopping.
According to his game logs on Basketball Reference, the last instance of Sheed attempting three or fewer triples combined over a three-game span happened during the last three games of the…2005 season.
It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine. As should you, if you even remotely enjoy watching what used to be a good team play good basketball. Or what used to be a quality big do more than linger out on the perimeter and fire away.
Sure, the Celtics are old and decrepit, but they’re at least capable of wreaking some havoc from their Rascal scooters. Boston’s defense is still top-notch, but the offense, thanks to culprits like ‘Sheed and his delusions of three-point shooting grandeur, is merely average at best. This is a team that can and should do better. In spite of the injuries, in spite of their advanced age, in spite of everything.
I wouldn’t count on Wallace’s sudden aversion for his favorite shot on the court to indicate anything lasting or substantial (a la Josh Smith), but enjoy it while it lasts. If nothing else, it can remind of simpler times when Sheed’s game was less perimeter-centric…or at least when he didn’t insist on attempting four threes a game while making less than 30% of them.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29