Mar 9, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
It’s either a delightful happenstance or a sign of the impending apocalypse: after shooting blanks from the arc all season long, Rasheed Wallace has finally stopped chucking threes at a ridiculous rate. From Zach Lowe of CelticsHub:
Rasheed Wallace has taken 3 three-pointers combined in the last three games. This is not quite as infrequent an occurrence as Halley’s Comet, but it’s about as rare as me voluntarily going clothes shopping.
According to his game logs on Basketball Reference, the last instance of Sheed attempting three or fewer triples combined over a three-game span happened during the last three games of the…2005 season.
It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine. As should you, if you even remotely enjoy watching what used to be a good team play good basketball. Or what used to be a quality big do more than linger out on the perimeter and fire away.
Sure, the Celtics are old and decrepit, but they’re at least capable of wreaking some havoc from their Rascal scooters. Boston’s defense is still top-notch, but the offense, thanks to culprits like ‘Sheed and his delusions of three-point shooting grandeur, is merely average at best. This is a team that can and should do better. In spite of the injuries, in spite of their advanced age, in spite of everything.
I wouldn’t count on Wallace’s sudden aversion for his favorite shot on the court to indicate anything lasting or substantial (a la Josh Smith), but enjoy it while it lasts. If nothing else, it can remind of simpler times when Sheed’s game was less perimeter-centric…or at least when he didn’t insist on attempting four threes a game while making less than 30% of them.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?