Mar 9, 2010, 3:04 PM EDT
How desperate are the Denver Nuggets for another big man? Two words for you: Brian Cook.
According to Hoopsworld, Denver not only worked out Cook yesterday and are on the verge of signing the former Big 10 player of the year to a deal. He is there to fill the void left by Kenyon Martin being out to deal with his knee problem.
Cook is theoretically a “stretch four,” and those are the hot new toy everybody wants. We say theoretically because he shot just 22.2 percent from three in 15 appearances for the Rockets this season and barely ever takes a long two. But to be fair, he is a career 39 percent guy from three; he could find his touch again.
But the book on Cook is pretty simple — run at him and don’t let him set his feet at the arc. Because if he has to put the ball on the floor, shoot on the move or create his own shot things fall apart fast. More than 70% of his baskets came with an assist from someone, when that dropped to 40% last season in Houston (meaning he had to create his own shot) his shooting percentage plummeted. He does not finish well at the rim.
And the reason the Lakers early on and Orlando next let him walk was the fact they like defense and rebounding. Cook does not (he is at best an average rebounder for a four, and because he likes the wings he rarely gets offensive boards).
This is not to knock Cook, too much, his game is his game. But the fact Denver likes his game at this point speaks volumes about where they are.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15