Mar 9, 2010, 3:04 PM EST
How desperate are the Denver Nuggets for another big man? Two words for you: Brian Cook.
According to Hoopsworld, Denver not only worked out Cook yesterday and are on the verge of signing the former Big 10 player of the year to a deal. He is there to fill the void left by Kenyon Martin being out to deal with his knee problem.
Cook is theoretically a “stretch four,” and those are the hot new toy everybody wants. We say theoretically because he shot just 22.2 percent from three in 15 appearances for the Rockets this season and barely ever takes a long two. But to be fair, he is a career 39 percent guy from three; he could find his touch again.
But the book on Cook is pretty simple — run at him and don’t let him set his feet at the arc. Because if he has to put the ball on the floor, shoot on the move or create his own shot things fall apart fast. More than 70% of his baskets came with an assist from someone, when that dropped to 40% last season in Houston (meaning he had to create his own shot) his shooting percentage plummeted. He does not finish well at the rim.
And the reason the Lakers early on and Orlando next let him walk was the fact they like defense and rebounding. Cook does not (he is at best an average rebounder for a four, and because he likes the wings he rarely gets offensive boards).
This is not to knock Cook, too much, his game is his game. But the fact Denver likes his game at this point speaks volumes about where they are.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)