Mar 9, 2010, 12:35 PM EST
It’s all in the family for Michael Jordan.
No, not that All In The Family, meathead. All in the Tar Heel family. Jordan is keeping things with people he trusts, and those people are North Carolinians.
Like Big Game James Worthy, Jordan’s Tar Heel teammate and legendary member of the Showtime Lakers, according to the Gaston Gazette.
“He’s really interested in helping some people I know,” Worthy said of Jordan. “He’s talked to myself. He’s talked to (former UNC teammate) Sam Perkins. When he gets ready to hire, he has our numbers. And I’m sure he’ll call people that are interested.
“I’ll never say never. I’m still in Los Angeles primarily. But the more I get back here, I would entertain the thought….
“It wouldn’t be TV,” said Worthy, who was in Gastonia promoting his foundation and other charities last Friday before the Lakers’ loss to the Bobcats. “It would be more front office-type stuff – player personnel, assistant GM (general manager), anything that he needs community-oriented. Michael’s busy, so he’s not going to get out as much. So those are the type of opportunities that he might offer up.”
In my (admittedly limited) interactions with James Worthy, he comes off as smart. Smart about the game. Smart about players. Smart about the business of basketball and making it work in the community. Getting to watch how the Lakers operate and interact with Los Angeles was the perfect tutor.
Bringing in you’re the guys you run with to help with your business can be a disaster. Usually is a disaster. But if the guys you used to run with turn out to be perfect fits who can do the job, who have ties to the community, it could be the best of both worlds.
Plus, Worthy could teach Tyrus Thomas the tomahawk dunk. The league needs more of that.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 0
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 12
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)