Mar 9, 2010, 12:35 PM EDT
It’s all in the family for Michael Jordan.
No, not that All In The Family, meathead. All in the Tar Heel family. Jordan is keeping things with people he trusts, and those people are North Carolinians.
Like Big Game James Worthy, Jordan’s Tar Heel teammate and legendary member of the Showtime Lakers, according to the Gaston Gazette.
“He’s really interested in helping some people I know,” Worthy said of Jordan. “He’s talked to myself. He’s talked to (former UNC teammate) Sam Perkins. When he gets ready to hire, he has our numbers. And I’m sure he’ll call people that are interested.
“I’ll never say never. I’m still in Los Angeles primarily. But the more I get back here, I would entertain the thought….
“It wouldn’t be TV,” said Worthy, who was in Gastonia promoting his foundation and other charities last Friday before the Lakers’ loss to the Bobcats. “It would be more front office-type stuff – player personnel, assistant GM (general manager), anything that he needs community-oriented. Michael’s busy, so he’s not going to get out as much. So those are the type of opportunities that he might offer up.”
In my (admittedly limited) interactions with James Worthy, he comes off as smart. Smart about the game. Smart about players. Smart about the business of basketball and making it work in the community. Getting to watch how the Lakers operate and interact with Los Angeles was the perfect tutor.
Bringing in you’re the guys you run with to help with your business can be a disaster. Usually is a disaster. But if the guys you used to run with turn out to be perfect fits who can do the job, who have ties to the community, it could be the best of both worlds.
Plus, Worthy could teach Tyrus Thomas the tomahawk dunk. The league needs more of that.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?