Mar 9, 2010, 12:35 PM EDT
It’s all in the family for Michael Jordan.
No, not that All In The Family, meathead. All in the Tar Heel family. Jordan is keeping things with people he trusts, and those people are North Carolinians.
Like Big Game James Worthy, Jordan’s Tar Heel teammate and legendary member of the Showtime Lakers, according to the Gaston Gazette.
“He’s really interested in helping some people I know,” Worthy said of Jordan. “He’s talked to myself. He’s talked to (former UNC teammate) Sam Perkins. When he gets ready to hire, he has our numbers. And I’m sure he’ll call people that are interested.
“I’ll never say never. I’m still in Los Angeles primarily. But the more I get back here, I would entertain the thought….
“It wouldn’t be TV,” said Worthy, who was in Gastonia promoting his foundation and other charities last Friday before the Lakers’ loss to the Bobcats. “It would be more front office-type stuff – player personnel, assistant GM (general manager), anything that he needs community-oriented. Michael’s busy, so he’s not going to get out as much. So those are the type of opportunities that he might offer up.”
In my (admittedly limited) interactions with James Worthy, he comes off as smart. Smart about the game. Smart about players. Smart about the business of basketball and making it work in the community. Getting to watch how the Lakers operate and interact with Los Angeles was the perfect tutor.
Bringing in you’re the guys you run with to help with your business can be a disaster. Usually is a disaster. But if the guys you used to run with turn out to be perfect fits who can do the job, who have ties to the community, it could be the best of both worlds.
Plus, Worthy could teach Tyrus Thomas the tomahawk dunk. The league needs more of that.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4