Allen Iverson answers back

Mar 9, 2010, 8:13 AM EST

iverson.jpgWe’ve chronicled the crumbling of Allen Iverson’s life plenty — the allegations of drinking and gambling, his wife filing for divorce, his very ill daughter he stayed home to be with, and how his once mighty NBA career had fallen.

Now, let the man have his say (as he did on his twitter account):

To my fans: You all know that my life isn’t perfect. I am going through some very tough times right now, like I am sure that we all do from time to time. However, I will stand tall like always with “rhino” thick skin. Even though I have become used to hearing people say things about me that aren’t true, it still hurts. I encourage you to continue your ongoing support and I want you to trust that this is another obstacle in my life that, with God’s help I will overcome. God Bless You All.

You can decide if that is enough for you. Know that for NBA GMs these words won’t matter, the only ones that will are sincere ones saying he’d be happy to come off the bench, not be a starter.

1. jim wheeler - Mar 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I’m sorry,but for some reason,I don’t feel one bit sorry for him.The gambling and the booze he brought on himself.Now the cards come crumbling down all around him.Sorry AI but with what was dealt to you and now you have blown it all.

2. Adrian Campbell - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM

It’s all good AL I know in life no one is perfect we all go through hard time so do what your mind tell you to do and be good as all way

3. Adrian Campbell - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM

4. DP - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Keep your head up AI.

5. ChronicTrees - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I remember the time I saw A.I in Dallas. I just wanted to shake his hand and say hello but his “posse” wasn’t having any of that and I was told not to bother him. In contrast I met Chris Bosh at a club in Dallas once, a much more intimate location than where I saw A.I. I was able to say hello, tell him I enjoyed watching him play, wished him luck and got a picture taken with him. A.I is a turd who is full of himself, let his “posse” support him.

6. Phil - Mar 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Not feeling sorry for AI and could care less if he ever plays basketball again.

7. TheFew - Mar 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I remember paying $ 90 for a pair of tickets to see the Sixers play the Wizards. I took my son who was seven at the time. He was a AI and Sixers fans. We had tickets near the visitors tunnel. AI come through the tunnel for warm-ups, and about 20 kids rushed to the tunnel yelling his name. He didn’t even lift his head up to acknowledge them. The kids including mine were crushed. I haven’t been back to another NBA game since and will never waste my money again. That was the real AI not the crying one we saw a couple of months ago. He never acknowledge his blessings or his fans. No one should feel sorry for AI. He has himself, his arrogance, and stupidity to blame. He will not be missed!

8. john - Mar 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM

A.I. now is the time to pay the pipper. You were always a A– to all the little people when you thought you were on top of the world. Now is the time to be a REAL man and quit winning like a little girl. You had your time and you wasted it. Good luck are trying to live like a real person everyday. Good for you …….

9. Rodhe - Mar 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I wish only the best for Allen Iverson, when someone is out and down, you don’t kick him to the curb…if you do that you are worse than he is. He needs our prays, what he is doing so many men are doing and no-one is judging them. He will get back on his feet and I pray he plays again. I will always be his number one fan. Leave the guy alone, when he was winning and making money they said negative things about him. He is a human and deserve the same respect we give to others, so please stop all the negativitity towards him. If you don’t have something good to say keep your comments to yourself.

10. Kenny Dewer - Mar 9, 2010 at 12:38 PM

A fool and his $ are soon parted. I’m supposed to feel sorry for some idiot who p**sed away more money than I’ll ever see in my lifetime. Quite frankly, I couldnt be happier to see this happen. Hope he winds up selling pencils out of a tin cup and combing peoples hair for a dollar. He wasted his talent his money and his career. “Practice?! you people up in here talkin bout Practice?” Hey AI better practice saying “paper or plastic?”

11. Kneey - Mar 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM

It’s practice. We are talking about practice. Now he is including god. He used to think he was god. What a turd.

12. dg - Mar 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! He is a human just like ALL of you who are judging him! He makes mistakes just like YOU do!!!

13. Anonymous - Mar 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Amen. That is the right view.

14. WhatGoesAround - Mar 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Yo. what up playa? Still feeling like a superstar? Hows the impact feel after falling from way up on that pedestal you put yourself? Man thats got to hurt. Not many people get to fall as far as you have, that takes a talent all on its own! you da man, NOT! Most people hated your punk self when you were high on the horse, now most people just dont care. Thats what you get when you think we owe you, when it was and always will be you people who owe us! easy come, easy go homey.

15. John Kanelis - Mar 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Iverson gambled and drank? And his wife has filed for divorce? The young man’s actions (the booze and gambling) have produced the inevitable reaction (divorce). One should understand the consquences of misbehavior before embarking on it. Iverson succumbed to temptation and he’s paying the price.

16. ihtbsktbll - Mar 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM

AWESOME! ANOTHER THUG GOES BROKE. IF IT WASN’T FOR BASKETBALL, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN BROKE (AND PROBABLY IN JAIL) ANYHOW. HE SHOULD HANG OUT WITH TYSON. BUNCH OF LOWLIFES.

17. Brad - Mar 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Nice Ebonics….

18. Nino Brown - Mar 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Screw Iverson. He is no role model. Mike Tyson, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan – these guys are pricks and losers. They blow their marriage on ho’s and then wanna find religion. I am so sick of it. These atheletes are dumb jocks literally. Go to college and take a course on how to manage your money. These guys make $18 million a year and then they are broke? Now you wanna find GOD? Where was GOD when you were on top? My bad – you were at the club or the casino screwing two dollar ho’s. I’m done.

19. AP - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

It really amazes me how critical, vicious and cruel people can be. As already mentioned if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t comment. We all sin and fall short of the glory of God and that’s why we ALL need forgiveness. When you become perfect, then you can talk but until then, keep your mouth closed. AI may God help you and your family deal with this difficult time. I wish your daughter all the best.

20. WL - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM

“We talkin’ bout practice!” You need to be talkin’ bout CHINA! They’re eating everything that a punk named Marbury can dish out over there. Take Rodman w/you! That’s 3 A.H.’s out of sight out of mind. Win-win-win situation

21. Nino Brown - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Watch your mouth. He is not a thug. He is from the streets – a broken household without positive role models. I should shove a silver spoon up your ass. Leave the black man alone.

22. Omega in Colorado - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I feel for his family and wish them nothing but the best in these tough times. I even feel a little for AI.
    But why did you have to show him in a Nuggets uniform? We as a city and fanbase are trying to move past that, and don’t need constant reminders.

23. Kelly - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I keep reading over and over that AI has a sick daughter, but never, anywhere, have I seen mentioned just what she is supposed to be sick from? Does anybody know?

24. geezstring - Mar 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM

We talkin bout drinkin and gamblin now, drinkin and gamblin, drinkin and gamblin – not basetball, drinkin and gamblin now, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin

25. geezstring - Mar 9, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches