Allen Iverson answers back

Mar 9, 2010, 8:13 AM EDT

iverson.jpgWe’ve chronicled the crumbling of Allen Iverson’s life plenty — the allegations of drinking and gambling, his wife filing for divorce, his very ill daughter he stayed home to be with, and how his once mighty NBA career had fallen.

Now, let the man have his say (as he did on his twitter account):

To my fans: You all know that my life isn’t perfect. I am going through some very tough times right now, like I am sure that we all do from time to time. However, I will stand tall like always with “rhino” thick skin. Even though I have become used to hearing people say things about me that aren’t true, it still hurts. I encourage you to continue your ongoing support and I want you to trust that this is another obstacle in my life that, with God’s help I will overcome. God Bless You All.

You can decide if that is enough for you. Know that for NBA GMs these words won’t matter, the only ones that will are sincere ones saying he’d be happy to come off the bench, not be a starter.

1. geezstring - Mar 9, 2010 at 5:10 PM

We talkin bout drinkin and gamblin now, drinkin and gamblin, drinkin and gamblin – not basetball, drinkin and gamblin now, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin, not basetball, drinkin & gamblin, drinkin & gamblin

2. steve - Mar 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM

AI was a great athlete as a teenager who was permitted to act recklessly without controls or punishment, was permitted to get through school without an education, was allowed to mistreat people without consequences. Unfortunately, it is a problem that affects many young athletes who then become role models for others. AI was destined to fail because adults around him failed to teach him the proper way to behave, to act, to think. AI is a no good thug who is loved by many. Go figure. He acted as if he were better than everyone else, especially, the suits. It was only a question of time before this sorry excuse of a person sank to his proper level.

3. Rodhe - Mar 9, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Give Allen a break he is a good person with some personal issues. I wish him only the best and feel that everyone needs to let him get through his tough times with support and not critize him. I will contine to pray for him and his family and will see him on top again. Keep your head up I am your number one fan and always will playing or not.

4. Big Steele - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

A.I. did not owe any of you a minute of his time. Why do some feel that because a man plays a sport for a living they owe you or your snotty nosed child a minute of their time? Maybe he was not in a good mood. I’m sure we all had times we did not want to even deal with our own kids. I hope and pray all turns out well for A.I. People need to stop being bitter and live their own lives and not get so caught up in he didn’t shake my hand; he didn’t do this or that. SOO WHAT!!!! Does he really owe any of you anything? He’s a Hall of Famer, and he’s stepping aside to assist his ill daughter. This shows more heart than most of you so called good people in here. SMF!!

5. Big Steele - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM

6. Big Steele - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM

7. Taterwheel - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM

“A.I. did not owe any of you a minute of his time. ”
    Umm, sorry, but when you get paid millions of dollars from the fans to play a kid’s game, you DO owe it to kids to be civil to them in public. Any athlete that would rudely snub a kid is an arrogant prick. I used to go to games in Phoenix when I was a kid in the early 70s and just about every player would sign an autograph except Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. Wilt would just ignore us, but Russell seemed to be bothered by the requests, but at least they were never offensive. Funny, I’ve always admired Russell despite the childhood snubs. Iverson is a stretch for the HOF though. I do hope his daughter recovers. That is all.

8. Philly C - Mar 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I agree with Big Steele…It seems to me that most of you people are nothing but jealous haters. Anyone that thinks Iverson is a stretch for the Hall should really take a look at his stats.

9. O.G. BIG HOMIE - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:16 AM

How the hell do u know whether or not that man acknowledged his blessings ? And ur a poor excuse for a man AND a father if u allowed ONE MAN to discourage u from takin ur kid(s) to ANY other basketball game. It’s bafoons like u that give these athletes the very “power” u criticize them for abusing. All u did was teach ur kid to allow someone else’s actions to take precedence over their decision making. Way to go……DAD !!!!!!

10. O.G. BIG HOMIE - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:25 AM

What satisfaction do u grown ass men get from saying hello or shaking hands with another grown ass man? So what if he’s an athlete. It works better when u don’t go out of ur way. Just be easy. Whats more questionable is why get mad if they don’t do it ? Ur in a club, I’m sure flooded with women, but the highlight of ur evening was bein in an intimate setting to say hello to Chris Bosh ???? U my friend are truly amazing. Lmao !

11. O.G. BIG HOMIE - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Gee Whiz Mr. Dewer, u must have spent ur entire miserable life being broke. Do u envy, and wish “pencil” sales on everyone thats been fortunate enough to “piss away” more money than you”ll ever make in ur lifetime ? Be mindful that when u wish despair upon someone else, GOD just may bless u with it instead.

12. O.G. BIG HOMIE - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM

My apologies Big Steele. That criticism was for “Haterwheel”

13. JJ - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:48 AM

AI is a good man and I think he will overcome any obstacles he is facing and will come out on the positive side. I will keep him in my prayers.

14. Nate - Mar 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I will have to give O.G. BIG HOMIE some major points for some major truth he just sent to TheFew. Why would you put all that on your son and then deny him any chance to see another game? What kind of lesson is that? Oh son you should hold a grudge forever because an athlete didn’t talk to you during his pregame warm up.
    Personally I am a Nuggets fan. I was jumping for joy when AI was traded (he is, in my opinion, a bad match for the team), but I learned some good lessons from my family and friends who are actually invested in my life and my success and can separate myself from idol worship. Putting your son in a situation to be crushed by someone you don’t even know is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is wishing pain on someone else, especially if the illness of is daughter is serious. I hope if nothing else for the man, his daughter gets better and he is able to get it together to help raise her and support her in a time of need.

15. Len - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I agree with some on here. But most don’t know the life of professional atheletes. They have had to sacrifice a lot of the personal lives for what they do. They have to be nice and talk to reporters/paparazzi, who ask rude and irrevelant questions. They try to sign autographs only to learn people use kids or whoever to get signatures and sell them on the market.
    That said, I don’t know whats going on his in private life. I would be curious to find out, but not maniacal about it like media and write bad things about you, if they dont get some type of coverage they are looking for. Or they will fabricate stuff as well.
    A.I. has given more that any of us for our entertainment. Until you can do the same, your don’t have much of a say. Sorry thats how it is. I believe he will overcome and get things better for him and his family. Much of press these days are from “journalists” who claimed to know it all. Give their opinions and try to sell themselves as the truth. Don’t believe all you read as the gospel.

16. Retsof18 - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Allen has decorated the NBA platform with style & grace! I doubt that anyone may it be critics or haters modelize Mr. Iverson in his strong will moments! Allen is a national & international icon in the game of basketball! He is very charismatic, and some people tries to demoralize others, because of their (people in general) deceit! One cannot live in a glass house and do not expect a stone throw not to crack the glass! Allen continue to excel in your endeavors, the goodness and strength is in your heart! Peace…

17. Reggaebwoy - Mar 31, 2010 at 6:09 PM

I do beleive some of u made some good points and others the total opposite . I think A.I made some mistakes , but who hasn’t ?. That said , He’s has been one of my fav players so i’m not going to abandon him . I wish his Daughter well and A.I keep your head up .

18. Terry Chenault - Apr 2, 2010 at 4:48 AM

A.I has been a good ballplayer and deservse to be treated as such I for one wish he and his family well.No one has a right to be this man’s judge. Terry

19. DavidKing - Apr 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM

LOL, that’s they whole thing. They just want A.I. 2 humble himself & come off the bench & not start. That’s not just it though. I think it’s the Larry Brown spat thing as well as they feeling he’s 2 arrogant for them to coach. Well some arrogance comes with the territory. The man always has been good & he’s still great. Listen people- #1 draft pic @ 6ft., unheard of, unprecedented. League MVP, many All Stars, League scoring titles & career scoring titles. Get a clue people & NBA! How the hell you think he gone all of a sudden get bad, old & slow. Steve Nash is kickn ass & they bout the same age. U don’t see the Suns benching him. They’re loyal as hell & he aint even been there as long as A.I. was in Philly. Also, Steve aint Allen by far! I’m not even basketball inclined or basketball text book smart & I realize he’s the man! The coaches just hatn on him. Stop freakn hatn! I hope U get back in soon A.I. & rip ‘em a new 1 & go out on top with the same killer mentality, just alot more mature & polished. U know what, I’m calln it right now! A.I. is coming 2 L.A. to get him @ least 1 or more with K.B. I don’t know if it’ll be 2011 cas K.B. might not want to get rid of D. Fish which might mess up the 3pt. championship consistency as is a part of the Lkers & Bulls organizations, which is connected to the greatness of Jordan & Phil. He might bring A.I. on 2 help him get that lucky #7 to pass Jordan. I think this is a great comment. Grio needs to highlight or something! Holla @ ya man!
    Support Barack Obama’s Presidency by checking out my song ‘Obama For The World’ by David King on YouTube! It’s about how all the different things about Barack Obama seem to symbolize his destiny as the 44th. U.S. President! As it is embraced it will also represent the overwhelming support of the world for the positive direction that it is heading, in which President Obama is the leading example! This is the world’s theme song for Barack Obama! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LBrM9bZE64
    Haiti, Chile, Indonesia & etc… have been hit by massive Earthquakes & Tsunamis in recent years killing hundreds of thousands of people, creating massive homelessness, poverty & despair! Help me raise 1 Trillion Dollars for the Relief, Rebuilding & Renaisance of world disaster victims by downloading my music! http://www.nimbitmusic.com/davidking.2
    Buy a ticket to see me @ Whisky A Gogo on 6/25/10! It’s a Michael Jackson Theme Night so wear your silver rhyme stoned glove or any other glove in support! & know this- I wanna rock with U! http://www.nimbitmusic.com/davidking.2

20. Movinup - Apr 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM

MFKRS be trippin’! A man’s life is in turmoil, and ignorant azz people try to kick him when he’s down! Look aat your own life and think how u would be living if u had made someething of yourself. HE”S STILL A HALL OF FAMER!!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches