Mar 8, 2010, 12:53 PM EDT
Eddie Sefko isn’t so much with the “Mavs can do it!” camp regarding the Mavs overcoming the Lakers for top seed in the West.
All I can say is that they in no way should start getting a fast pulse over the prospects of catching the Lakers for the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference.
Forget about it.
Ain’t gonna happen.
Sefko goes on to point out that the three game lead for the Lakers is an almost guaranteed lock with 18 games remaining. Which is probably true. And that’s before you take a look at the schedule.
The Mavs close out the final month of the regular season with this murder’s row.
So if they topple the sub.500 teams, that still leaves them five big humps to get over. Meanwhile, here’s what LA’s looks like.
Not much easier, actually. but the fact remains the Mavericks would have to play flawlessly and get a bunch of breaks, including sweeping a three game road trip in middle April that’s going to look mighty tempting as a rest spot against lottery squads. Then again, with the way LA’s been playing lately, you have to wonder if they’ll show up for any before the third weekend in April finally rolls around.
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 5
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 11
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 10