Mar 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Stephen A. Smith made a lot of noise last week when he reported Iverson has a drinking problem, so he has gone back to that well to mention there is a gambling problem, too.
Allen Iverson is in trouble, folks, deep trouble. The combination of alcohol and gambling – and a once-promising career in tatters because of the first two – won’t culminate in anything short of disaster if help does not arrive in short order.
If numerous NBA sources are telling the truth — and there’s no reason to believe they’d do otherwise in a situation of this magnitude — Iverson will either drink himself into oblivion or gamble his life away.
Separating fact from fiction in a world of anonymous sources can be hard. Who knows exactly what details are correct.
But this much is clear from basic observation — Iverson’s life is disintegrating around him. Both NBA teams he was with — both with young, impressionable players they want to build around — pushed him out the door. His wife has filed for divorce. He has a very sick daughter.
It’s a sad thing to see.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 4
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40