Mar 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Stephen A. Smith made a lot of noise last week when he reported Iverson has a drinking problem, so he has gone back to that well to mention there is a gambling problem, too.
Allen Iverson is in trouble, folks, deep trouble. The combination of alcohol and gambling – and a once-promising career in tatters because of the first two – won’t culminate in anything short of disaster if help does not arrive in short order.
If numerous NBA sources are telling the truth — and there’s no reason to believe they’d do otherwise in a situation of this magnitude — Iverson will either drink himself into oblivion or gamble his life away.
Separating fact from fiction in a world of anonymous sources can be hard. Who knows exactly what details are correct.
But this much is clear from basic observation — Iverson’s life is disintegrating around him. Both NBA teams he was with — both with young, impressionable players they want to build around — pushed him out the door. His wife has filed for divorce. He has a very sick daughter.
It’s a sad thing to see.
- Josh McRoberts fined $20,000 for forearm foul to LeBron’s throat 43
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 47
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 10
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 26
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 11