Report: Iverson gambling, too

Mar 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EST

iverson.jpgStephen A. Smith made a lot of noise last week when he reported Iverson has a drinking problem, so he has gone back to that well to mention there is a gambling problem, too.

Allen Iverson is in trouble, folks, deep trouble. The combination of alcohol and gambling – and a once-promising career in tatters because of the first two – won’t culminate in anything short of disaster if help does not arrive in short order.

If numerous NBA sources are telling the truth — and there’s no reason to believe they’d do otherwise in a situation of this magnitude — Iverson will either drink himself into oblivion or gamble his life away.

Separating fact from fiction in a world of anonymous sources can be hard. Who knows exactly what details are correct.

But this much is clear from basic observation — Iverson’s life is disintegrating around him. Both NBA teams he was with — both with young, impressionable players they want to build around — pushed him out the door. His wife has filed for divorce. He has a very sick daughter.

It’s a sad thing to see.

1. Jonny Mess - Mar 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM

A “once-promising career.” Hilarious. He’s had an amazing, promise-fulfilling career, that’s just shy a championship, like a lot of great players. He’s 34, his career was already ending.

2. Dave - Mar 8, 2010 at 2:36 PM

His life has been disintegrating since he was a teenager. From time to time the erosion stopped or slowed, but apparently never completely stopped.

3. Mandingo - Mar 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I heard he likes dudes too….

4. Rodhe - Mar 8, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Poor guy, I pray for him and hope that others do to, don’t kick someone when they are down. He needs friend and family, the same ones that were there when he was making millions. I will continue to pray for him and his family and hope that in the end it all turns out ok for him. He will forever be my number one player.

5. Pudbert_Savannah GA - Mar 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Iverson has ALWAYS been a punk, always will be a punk..
    Remember when this dipchit said that he didn’t need to practice??
    Like he made EVERY shot and EVERY free throw..
    PUNK ! !

6. allen "gansta thug' iverson - Mar 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM

gambling, i aint got no gambling probelm. Gambling? its only gambling. Gambling? I be an all star thug w/ dreads and a bunch of hoe’s. Gambling. Cmon man, its only gsmbling and a 40 oz of malt liquopr I drink w/ my fellow thugs on da corner while dey deal dat dare weed of dairs.

7. Lawrence - Mar 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM

John, This is 2010 be a real man you are in cyber space no one can harm you it’s ok for your B_ _ _ _ A _ to spell the word.

8. jasper - Mar 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM

what did you exspect from a thirtfour year old who talks like a five year old.go get your self educated. you are what your friends are.

9. Jazzy J n VA - Mar 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Allen….. u will always be my number one NBA Player. I will keep you in my prayers daily. I pray that you get the help and support needed to get you through. Most of all i pray the you seek Jesus, his love is unconditional, if we would just trust in him and obey him our lives would be so much better. I Love You AI!!! be strong

10. Wild - Mar 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Never trust a racist loser known as John.

11. Wild - Mar 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM

John, a racist and a Star Trek dork, you really hit the jackpot in life my man!

12. Jack Meoffer - Mar 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Two words. WHO CARES. He’s a punk gang affiliated loser and this is karma getting back at him. He’s a waste of air. Next !

13. SpankMonkey - Mar 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM

gangsta thug who’s life style got him in this mess. tat’d cornrowed street corner thug who got the gifts and had no clue how to work them and his up bringing into a total player. total waste of talent and space. he needs to disappear so kids don’t look up to him.

14. Nick Geerz - Mar 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM

yeah this is sad to see my people fault like they do ..may the lord shine on him and hit with a ray of inspiration…
    Babba Booey Babba Booey

15. JAck Devaney - Mar 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM

yeah what can u say figures

16. jessy7366 - Mar 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM

He is just a gansta nobody,they are all me players,not team players,watch them,they don’t pass or look for the open shooter,they go for the three’s and the jams. They will all be broke when they retire,either to many divorces,gambling or drinking!! Funny,you don’t hear to much about the white guys doing that kinda stuff!! Good bye Alan,you get what you give!!

17. Greg C - Mar 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Never judge a man…
    He’s the best 6’er to ever play in the nba, period.
    The problem is people let him get away with his antics because of his ability to score buckets, he was never held to the same standards as other players,
    So who’s to blame? The guy who gets away with it or the guy who let him? Now that his skills have diminished, he’s being held to another standard.
    my2cents

18. craigs - Mar 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Somebody help out my 58 yr old memory….didn’t John Thompson essentially bail Iverson out of jail to play at Georgetown?

19. Roger - Mar 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM

He has had big promises for several teams and became a headache, just jettison him from the league now, Mr. Commissioner.

20. jessy7366 - Mar 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Stephen Smith,he is punk nobody too!! I don’t know how he even got the job,they probabley had to hire a number of minorities.

21. sonny - Mar 8, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Best 6′ foot guard 2 play in nba u got to be kidding me and even yourself did u ever here of Mr thomas who played 4 Detroit he was 6 times better than that little thug

22. nedd c - Mar 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM

he’ll fade away trhen be back on reality TV … the biggest loser, oh yeah that’s just for fat people …. someone argued last week that this punk wasn’t a cancer … case closed he was a cancer on any team he played with now he’s a cancer that has spread to his family and no sympathy from me

23. bill - Mar 8, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Like him or not, I think the vulgarity and level of hatred posted by some of you is totally uncalled for…like ya’ll PERSONALLY have a problem with an ENTERTAINER who (if these reports are true) has a DISEASE. That’s downright unclassy on so many different levels. Like if a player isn’t ever on a champioship team he deserves to be reviled?! AI is by no means my favorite of all time, but seeing him shake a guard out of his shoelaces, then drive the lane & make a couple of 7 footers look silly ALWAYS left my jaw on the floor. Best of luck Allen.

24. Solo - Mar 8, 2010 at 8:16 PM

PLEASE, PLEASE Do not forget the rot that he brought to a gneration of our youth with his filthy rap songs!!!!!!

25. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Mar 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Dude, you gotta be kidding. The best ever player who has ever worn a Sixer jersey is Mr. Prototype himself, Dr. J.
    As for Allen Iverson, he has my sympathies but I guess he is reaping what he has sown. His immaturity has finally caught up with him. He is paying the consequences of his actions and decisions.
    I lost my admiration for him eversince that “practice” comment of his. The guy is too full of himself. Good thing he never got a bling, otherwise that would set a bad example for the younger generation.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches