Mar 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EST
Stephen A. Smith made a lot of noise last week when he reported Iverson has a drinking problem, so he has gone back to that well to mention there is a gambling problem, too.
Allen Iverson is in trouble, folks, deep trouble. The combination of alcohol and gambling – and a once-promising career in tatters because of the first two – won’t culminate in anything short of disaster if help does not arrive in short order.
If numerous NBA sources are telling the truth — and there’s no reason to believe they’d do otherwise in a situation of this magnitude — Iverson will either drink himself into oblivion or gamble his life away.
Separating fact from fiction in a world of anonymous sources can be hard. Who knows exactly what details are correct.
But this much is clear from basic observation — Iverson’s life is disintegrating around him. Both NBA teams he was with — both with young, impressionable players they want to build around — pushed him out the door. His wife has filed for divorce. He has a very sick daughter.
It’s a sad thing to see.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 27
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10