Mar 8, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Stephen A. Smith made a lot of noise last week when he reported Iverson has a drinking problem, so he has gone back to that well to mention there is a gambling problem, too.
Allen Iverson is in trouble, folks, deep trouble. The combination of alcohol and gambling – and a once-promising career in tatters because of the first two – won’t culminate in anything short of disaster if help does not arrive in short order.
If numerous NBA sources are telling the truth — and there’s no reason to believe they’d do otherwise in a situation of this magnitude — Iverson will either drink himself into oblivion or gamble his life away.
Separating fact from fiction in a world of anonymous sources can be hard. Who knows exactly what details are correct.
But this much is clear from basic observation — Iverson’s life is disintegrating around him. Both NBA teams he was with — both with young, impressionable players they want to build around — pushed him out the door. His wife has filed for divorce. He has a very sick daughter.
It’s a sad thing to see.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18