Mar 8, 2010, 8:23 AM EDT
Denver Nuggets coach George Karl will undergo surgery Monday morning to have a feeding tube put in his stomach.
It is all part of his ongoing battle with throat cancer, and as usual Karl downplayed it when he talked to Chris Tomasson of Fanhouse.
“I don’t think it’s a serious surgery,” Karl said of the procedure to assist him during his treatment for a form of throat cancer. “But they’re going to have to cut my body open and put something in your stomach. So it’s always a concern.”
Karl is undergoing radiation and chemotherapy treatment. He will have chemo treatment Tuesday.
“I feel fine but I have an incredibly sore throat,” he said. “Even ice cream doesn’t taste good. My saliva is dry.”
Karl will not be on the sidelines Wednesday but talks about trying to coach his team Friday in New Orleans against the Hornets.
While normally players would be pretty happy to have something shut their coach up for a few days, in this case all anybody — inside and outside the Nuggets — wishes is for Karl to get through this week and return to the team when he is ready.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 0
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 11
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 7
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Roy Hibbert believes Shane Battier’s knee to his groin in Game 1 was intentional (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million