Mar 8, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Pop quiz hotshot: Do you want to star in a major motion picture or win an NBA ring? What do you do? What do you do?
Turns out, Glenn “Big Baby” Davis sort of had that choice. At the request of some friends, he sent in an audition tape to play Michael Oher in “The Blind Side,” the lead male role opposite Sandra Bullock, who won one of those surprisingly heavy statues last night for her performance.
“I’ve always wanted to act,” he explained. “I knew about the football player, he played at Ole Miss, and I heard there was a book out about that. So I said, ‘Sure, I’ll try out.’ “
After submitting his tape, Davis learned he was one of the top three candidates for the role. Because of the NBA schedule, however, he never met with film’s executives. Regardless of the opportunity to act, Davis had priorities.
“I never flew out because I didn’t have time,” he said. “I was playing, it was at the beginning of the season. That would’ve been tough. I would’ve had to shoot during the summer time, and that was a really important time.”
That all started back in the summer of 2007. Davis stuck with the Celtics and with that earned a championship ring that season. Still, can you imagine Davis going up to Ray “Jesus Shuttlesworth” Allen and asking for acting tips? Would have paid to see Garnett’s reaction to that one.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 21
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 21
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9