Mar 8, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Pop quiz hotshot: Do you want to star in a major motion picture or win an NBA ring? What do you do? What do you do?
Turns out, Glenn “Big Baby” Davis sort of had that choice. At the request of some friends, he sent in an audition tape to play Michael Oher in “The Blind Side,” the lead male role opposite Sandra Bullock, who won one of those surprisingly heavy statues last night for her performance.
“I’ve always wanted to act,” he explained. “I knew about the football player, he played at Ole Miss, and I heard there was a book out about that. So I said, ‘Sure, I’ll try out.’ “
After submitting his tape, Davis learned he was one of the top three candidates for the role. Because of the NBA schedule, however, he never met with film’s executives. Regardless of the opportunity to act, Davis had priorities.
“I never flew out because I didn’t have time,” he said. “I was playing, it was at the beginning of the season. That would’ve been tough. I would’ve had to shoot during the summer time, and that was a really important time.”
That all started back in the summer of 2007. Davis stuck with the Celtics and with that earned a championship ring that season. Still, can you imagine Davis going up to Ray “Jesus Shuttlesworth” Allen and asking for acting tips? Would have paid to see Garnett’s reaction to that one.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11