Mar 8, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Pop quiz hotshot: Do you want to star in a major motion picture or win an NBA ring? What do you do? What do you do?
Turns out, Glenn “Big Baby” Davis sort of had that choice. At the request of some friends, he sent in an audition tape to play Michael Oher in “The Blind Side,” the lead male role opposite Sandra Bullock, who won one of those surprisingly heavy statues last night for her performance.
“I’ve always wanted to act,” he explained. “I knew about the football player, he played at Ole Miss, and I heard there was a book out about that. So I said, ‘Sure, I’ll try out.’ “
After submitting his tape, Davis learned he was one of the top three candidates for the role. Because of the NBA schedule, however, he never met with film’s executives. Regardless of the opportunity to act, Davis had priorities.
“I never flew out because I didn’t have time,” he said. “I was playing, it was at the beginning of the season. That would’ve been tough. I would’ve had to shoot during the summer time, and that was a really important time.”
That all started back in the summer of 2007. Davis stuck with the Celtics and with that earned a championship ring that season. Still, can you imagine Davis going up to Ray “Jesus Shuttlesworth” Allen and asking for acting tips? Would have paid to see Garnett’s reaction to that one.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13