Mar 6, 2010, 1:23 PM EST
UPDATE 3/6 1:20 pm: Rodney Stuckey has been released from the Cleveland Clinic where he spent the night, according to Yahoo. He passed a battery of tests that showed no heart problems. No word yet on what is next for Stuckey or when he might return to the court.
3/6 11:32 am: After a night in the hospital, Stuckey is doing fine according to the Pistons conditioning coach.
“He’s doing well,” Pistons strength and conditioning coach Arnie Kander
told The Associated Press on Saturday morning. “All the tests have come
Making this incident extra eerie was it took place one day after the 20-year anniversary of Hank Gathers collapsing and dying on a basketball court.
3/5 9:48 PM: Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey collapsed on the bench in the third quarter of Friday night’s game against the Cleveland Cavaliers after an apparent seizure.
He was taken off the court on a stretcher and rushed to a local clinic, but there is no official word on his status. According to a report from a Pistons spokesperson (via ESPN, which was broadcasting the game) he was conscious, breathing on his own with an oxygen mask on, and that his vitals were stable as he was taken out of the building.
Stuckey had been in the game and appeared fine heading to the bench for a timeout. However, after sitting down for a few moments he seemed to have a small seizure and just pass out. Medical personnel raced over to treat Stuckey, and play was halted for a dozen minutes. Cavaliers players formed a circle with their heads bowed during part of that time.
This is not the first frightening incident for Stuckey — last season he was helped off the court in a game against Boston and missed the next two games due to “dizziness.” That incident was blamed on a reaction to a new allergy medication he was taking.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 5
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9