Mar 6, 2010, 10:56 PM EDT
It hasn’t been a great year for the San Antonio Spurs. They’ve struggled to integrate new players. lacked the defensive intensity that marked their previous championship contention, and their core veterans have struggled to remain healthy.
No one has more explicitly outlined those problems than Tony Parker, who has missed time with everything under the sun, except STDs and scurvy (probably due to the French cure of horse meat). Plantar fasciitis has demolished his jumper and an assortment of injuries have left him missing regular time. It’s about to get much more regular.
Parker suffered a fracture of his fourth metacarpal in his right hand against the Grizzlies tonight. Dude broke his freaking hand.
As 48 Minutes of Hell notes, Matt Bonner suffered a similar injury and only missed 15 games. But then, Bonner wasn’t shopping for a complete set of ailments to go on his insurance file (collect ’em all!). At some point, Parker may have to be shut down just to get him back to baseline.
There are less than 25 games left in the Spurs’ season, the ones they don’t care about. But if Parker can’t get himself whole again, their huge gamble this season may have been for naught.
At least he gets to go home to Eva to take care of him. I break my hand and I’m still taking out the trash and trying to type with one hand.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48