Mar 6, 2010, 10:19 AM EDT
UPDATE 3/6 10:11 am: After the game Friday night, Kenyon Martin questioned the report that there was a tear in his patella tendon, saying it was “a little more” than just tendonitis but that he didn’t know if it was torn. He had an MRI Thursday and the Nuggets will spend the weekend looking at their options.
3/5 10:19 pm: The already thin front line of the Denver Nuggets keeps getting thinner.
Kenyon Martin missed the Nuggets Friday night game against the Pacers and it was announced he has a partial tear of his left patella tendon, according to Mark Spears at Yahoo. A decision on how it will be treated will be made in the next 48 hours.
Rest, therapeutic injections and surgery are among the options that could be used to treat an injury commonly referred to as “jumper’s knee.”
The Nuggets publicly announced only that Martin is suffering from chronic left knee patella tendonitis. On Friday evening, the team listed his playing status as day-to-day.
Martin has a long history of knee problems, including microfracture surgery. Twice.
Denver’s entire front line is the walking wounded. Martin has been battling this knee pain for a couple of months, trying to play through it. Chris “Birdman” Anderson has been slowed with knee problems as well and has had to miss games, and been less active when he has been in.
This explains why Denver tried to be active at the trade deadline to find one more big body — especially since they will have to match up with the big Lakers front line in the playoffs. The Nuggets approached Big Z, but that was a futile effort as he was Cleveland bound all the time. Denver still has been talking to players such as Mikki Moore and Mark Blount to possibly take a one of their final two roster spots and give them some of the depth along the front line.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 2
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 16
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25