Mar 6, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The NBA’s D-League — you know, where your team’s rookie that can’t see the court goes to get a little burn — is an Adidas league.
Adidas sponsored jerseys, sweats everything. That includes shoes. Every team gets plenty of Adidas shoes, and players are supposed to wear them. Except that some — many? — of the players in the league grew up on Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant and Nike. And they want to wear the swoosh.
“Under the agreement with the league, players are also required to wear adidas footwear — and we provide teams with sufficient footwear for the players,” according to a statement from adidas issued to FanHouse. “They have to cover the logo if it is a non-adidas shoe.”
So players who choose not to wear the provided adidas kicks are asked to tape over the rival logo with athletic tape. Not exactly a fashion statement, but not the end of the world and nothing that should affect their game on the court.
Not that many players are doing it, because you still need to get a written exemption for the right to tape over a swoosh. Nobody is saying exactly how many. But if you’re at a Toros game and a guy has tape on his shoe, you’ll know.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record