Mar 5, 2010, 1:26 PM EST
NBA players make money, and a lot of it. They bring home the bacon, the big bucks, the Benjamins. They get paid.
As such, most players — unless they’re former NBA MEGA-star and greatest-of-all-time candidate Antoine Walker — have enough coin to snatch up all of the material goods they need and then some. That can make birthday or Christmas shopping a tad difficult, but if you’re looking for a gift for the NBA player in your life, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant may have a suggestion. From ESPN’s Chris Broussard writing at TrueHoop:
James and Bryant decided to buy each member of the 2010 NBA All-Star
team a pair of custom-made “Beats by Dr. Dre” Monster headphones.
James bought them for his 12 Eastern Conference teammates, while Bryant
did the same for the 14 other Western Conference all-stars.
via blackberry, James and Bryant settled on getting Dre’s $350
“Studio” version headphones. They then contacted Dr. Dre and asked him
to customize each set of headphones by making them in the All-Star
colors (blue for the East, red for the West) and putting each player’s
number on them. That cost an extra $100 per set.
Bryant presented their gifts in the locker room before the Feb. 14
game. I’m told their stunned teammates “went crazy.”
Headphones! Brilliant! I mean, everyone loves music, right? And players travel all the time, so they’re constantly plugged into their iPods and laptops!
Nevermind the fact that, well, everybody owns a pair of headphones. I guess you could always stand to upgrade. Don’t get me wrong, the gesture is certainly a nice one, but for some reason the idea of a bunch of NBA stars going “crazy” over some headphones is just a tad ridiculous to me.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8