Mar 5, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
NBA players make money, and a lot of it. They bring home the bacon, the big bucks, the Benjamins. They get paid.
As such, most players — unless they’re former NBA MEGA-star and greatest-of-all-time candidate Antoine Walker — have enough coin to snatch up all of the material goods they need and then some. That can make birthday or Christmas shopping a tad difficult, but if you’re looking for a gift for the NBA player in your life, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant may have a suggestion. From ESPN’s Chris Broussard writing at TrueHoop:
James and Bryant decided to buy each member of the 2010 NBA All-Star
team a pair of custom-made “Beats by Dr. Dre” Monster headphones.
James bought them for his 12 Eastern Conference teammates, while Bryant
did the same for the 14 other Western Conference all-stars.
via blackberry, James and Bryant settled on getting Dre’s $350
“Studio” version headphones. They then contacted Dr. Dre and asked him
to customize each set of headphones by making them in the All-Star
colors (blue for the East, red for the West) and putting each player’s
number on them. That cost an extra $100 per set.
Bryant presented their gifts in the locker room before the Feb. 14
game. I’m told their stunned teammates “went crazy.”
Headphones! Brilliant! I mean, everyone loves music, right? And players travel all the time, so they’re constantly plugged into their iPods and laptops!
Nevermind the fact that, well, everybody owns a pair of headphones. I guess you could always stand to upgrade. Don’t get me wrong, the gesture is certainly a nice one, but for some reason the idea of a bunch of NBA stars going “crazy” over some headphones is just a tad ridiculous to me.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29