Mar 5, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
NBA players make money, and a lot of it. They bring home the bacon, the big bucks, the Benjamins. They get paid.
As such, most players — unless they’re former NBA MEGA-star and greatest-of-all-time candidate Antoine Walker — have enough coin to snatch up all of the material goods they need and then some. That can make birthday or Christmas shopping a tad difficult, but if you’re looking for a gift for the NBA player in your life, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant may have a suggestion. From ESPN’s Chris Broussard writing at TrueHoop:
James and Bryant decided to buy each member of the 2010 NBA All-Star
team a pair of custom-made “Beats by Dr. Dre” Monster headphones.
James bought them for his 12 Eastern Conference teammates, while Bryant
did the same for the 14 other Western Conference all-stars.
via blackberry, James and Bryant settled on getting Dre’s $350
“Studio” version headphones. They then contacted Dr. Dre and asked him
to customize each set of headphones by making them in the All-Star
colors (blue for the East, red for the West) and putting each player’s
number on them. That cost an extra $100 per set.
Bryant presented their gifts in the locker room before the Feb. 14
game. I’m told their stunned teammates “went crazy.”
Headphones! Brilliant! I mean, everyone loves music, right? And players travel all the time, so they’re constantly plugged into their iPods and laptops!
Nevermind the fact that, well, everybody owns a pair of headphones. I guess you could always stand to upgrade. Don’t get me wrong, the gesture is certainly a nice one, but for some reason the idea of a bunch of NBA stars going “crazy” over some headphones is just a tad ridiculous to me.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 0
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 9
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 13
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 25
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88