Mar 5, 2010, 6:37 PM EDT
UPDATE 3/5 6:35 pm: Dallas Mavericks have released an official statement saying that the surgery was a success and that Terry is expected to be allowed to resume basketball activities in 10 to 14 days. That will have him back with a few weeks left in the season and well before the start of the playoffs.
3/4 2:35 pm: Terry tells ESPN that he has a fractured orbital bone — the bones that make up the eye socket — which requires surgery. A timetable for his return will be set after the operation.
3/4 2:00 pm: Jason Terry will have surgery tomorrow to repair facial injuries from a Corey Brewer elbow Wednesday night.
Yahoo’s Mark Spears first reported the news via twitter, adding that right now there is no timetable for Terry’s return.
The incident happened with about 4:30 left in the third quarter of the Mavericks win over Minnesota (the team’s ninth win in a row). Brewer got the ball on an inbounds play and held it up with his elbows out. Then Brewer tried to make a sweeping move around Terry and inadvertently decked him with the elbow. Terry dropped to the floor and a was soon taken back to the Dallas locker room.
Just a few minutes later he was back on the court, with cotton in his nose to stop the bleeding. He finished with a game-high 26 points on the night (although was just 2 of 7 from the floor after the incident).
If he is out for an extended period of time, this could be a significant blow to the streaking Mavericks. Terry has returned to his sixth man role but has been closing out games. In the last two weeks, he may have been the hottest Mavericks player.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29