Mar 4, 2010, 10:24 AM EST
The Bobcats really did look like this was going to be the year. A playoff appearance, some silencing of the incessant critics who said this team was not only horrible, but would be horrible for the next five years, maybe a slight reprieve of all the negativity that’s devoured them pretty much since inception.
And then the All-Star break came.
Something happened between Dallas and now that shifted the chemistry, balance, and ability of the Bobcats. They are two and six since then, and as the Charlotte Observer notes, Gerald Wallace isn’t exactly keeping an upbeat attitude.
“That was a team,” Wallace said of the Bobcats’ former
incarnation, following a 104-80 loss. “This one is just guys out on
their own as individuals. Not talking, not communicating on defense.”
And the implications?
“Very worried,” Wallace said of the playoff prospects.
“Even if we manage to figure this out and some other team slips up, I
don’t know what kind of game we’d play. I’m worried if we do (make the
playoffs), we’ll get swept.”
Jeez, Crash. Don’t sugarcoat. Give it to us straight.
The Bobcats are built around a pretty reliable system: overwhelming defense, limited hot spots of offense, and a solidified team effort. But Wallace is right that the Bobcats seem to be playing for themselves lately.
Wallace was a strange mix of satisfied and subdued when he spoke at media day at All-Star Weekend, talking about how happy he was just to be there. He then went out and gave one of the biggest mail-ins in dunk contest history, and struggled to do anything at all in the All-Star Game.
It’s hard to tall what exactly has gotten into the ‘Cats, but if they don’t get it fixed soon, it’ll be another year where they get early vacation.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 0
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 35
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6