Mar 4, 2010, 6:43 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:45 pm: It’s about as official as it gets when it is on NBA.com, reported by David Aldridge — Finley and the Celtics have reached terms on an agreement, according to Finley’s agent Henry Thomas. Finley will join the Celtics this weekend.
“There were others, but they [the Celtics] were the most aggressive and
they were the most serious,” Thomas said. Finley “was very seriously
considering them two years ago, when he re-signed with San Antonio.”
5:01 pm: Yahoo’s spears is all over this one. Again Via twitter:
“Finley’s agent tells Y! his client will report 2 Bos on Sat. Fin could play Sunday against Wash. Cs made no playing time promises to Fin.”
3:46 pm: Yahoo’s Mark Spears is now reporting this is a done deal. Via twitter:
“Michael Finley has decided to come to Boston and will sign in next couple days, source tells Y! Sports“
3: 13 pm: You can never have too many aging shooters.
At least that appears to be the philosophy in Boston, where the team is close to inking a deal with recently-waived Spur Michael Finley, according to Comcast Sports New England.
Finley has been injured, lost his starting job and was barely seeing the court in San Antonio when he asked for his release. He has not been the same sharpshooter that was a key part of San Antonio’s last title — this year he is shooting just 38 percent overall and 31.7 percent from three.
However, if playing within the Celtics system, on a team already loaded with veterans, helps Finley find the fountain of youth for 15 minutes a game, it will be a huge pickup. It may not, as Finley will have to fight Tony Allen for the scraps of minutes that are left.
This is certainly a risk, but not a big one. And it’s the kind of risk the Celtics need to take to have any shot this season.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 1
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 22
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 21
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9