Mar 4, 2010, 6:43 PM EST
UPDATE 5:45 pm: It’s about as official as it gets when it is on NBA.com, reported by David Aldridge — Finley and the Celtics have reached terms on an agreement, according to Finley’s agent Henry Thomas. Finley will join the Celtics this weekend.
“There were others, but they [the Celtics] were the most aggressive and
they were the most serious,” Thomas said. Finley “was very seriously
considering them two years ago, when he re-signed with San Antonio.”
5:01 pm: Yahoo’s spears is all over this one. Again Via twitter:
“Finley’s agent tells Y! his client will report 2 Bos on Sat. Fin could play Sunday against Wash. Cs made no playing time promises to Fin.”
3:46 pm: Yahoo’s Mark Spears is now reporting this is a done deal. Via twitter:
“Michael Finley has decided to come to Boston and will sign in next couple days, source tells Y! Sports“
3: 13 pm: You can never have too many aging shooters.
At least that appears to be the philosophy in Boston, where the team is close to inking a deal with recently-waived Spur Michael Finley, according to Comcast Sports New England.
Finley has been injured, lost his starting job and was barely seeing the court in San Antonio when he asked for his release. He has not been the same sharpshooter that was a key part of San Antonio’s last title — this year he is shooting just 38 percent overall and 31.7 percent from three.
However, if playing within the Celtics system, on a team already loaded with veterans, helps Finley find the fountain of youth for 15 minutes a game, it will be a huge pickup. It may not, as Finley will have to fight Tony Allen for the scraps of minutes that are left.
This is certainly a risk, but not a big one. And it’s the kind of risk the Celtics need to take to have any shot this season.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)