Mar 4, 2010, 3:18 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace likes shooting threes. He likes shooting threes more than a lot of people like just about anything. This much we know. We also know that Rasheed Wallace’s accuracy from beyond the arc is not commensurate with his love of shooting threes. Rasheed currently shoots 4.4 threes per game, which is about one three for every five or so minutes Rasheed is on the floor. This season, Rasheed has only made 28.3% of his three-point attempts.
Zach Lowe of Celtics Hub decided to take a look at Rasheed’s three-point habits in context, and the results weren’t pretty. Only four times have players attempted as many threes per 36 minutes while making less than 30% of them: Michael Adams, Antoine Walker, and Jason Williams twice.
Normally, this is the part where I’d point out that almost every player is better off taking threes than they are taking long twos, which are harder to single out. If you take into account the added value of a three-pointer, Rasheed’s eFG% on threes is 42.5%. That’s just about what Vince Carter, Brandon Bass, Anthony Morrow, and Kevin love shoot on 16-23 foot jumpers.
However, the weird thing about Rasheed is that he’s been shooting well from every area except the three-point arc. He’s having a great year on midrange jumpers, making right around half of his attempts. He’s not as good at the rim as he used to be, but he’s still over 50% from inside of 10 feet.
Rasheed likes to shoot threes, and he does stretch the floor sometimes. However, he might be a lot more productive if he simply curbed his three-point addiction.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld