Mar 4, 2010, 3:18 PM EST
Rasheed Wallace likes shooting threes. He likes shooting threes more than a lot of people like just about anything. This much we know. We also know that Rasheed Wallace’s accuracy from beyond the arc is not commensurate with his love of shooting threes. Rasheed currently shoots 4.4 threes per game, which is about one three for every five or so minutes Rasheed is on the floor. This season, Rasheed has only made 28.3% of his three-point attempts.
Zach Lowe of Celtics Hub decided to take a look at Rasheed’s three-point habits in context, and the results weren’t pretty. Only four times have players attempted as many threes per 36 minutes while making less than 30% of them: Michael Adams, Antoine Walker, and Jason Williams twice.
Normally, this is the part where I’d point out that almost every player is better off taking threes than they are taking long twos, which are harder to single out. If you take into account the added value of a three-pointer, Rasheed’s eFG% on threes is 42.5%. That’s just about what Vince Carter, Brandon Bass, Anthony Morrow, and Kevin love shoot on 16-23 foot jumpers.
However, the weird thing about Rasheed is that he’s been shooting well from every area except the three-point arc. He’s having a great year on midrange jumpers, making right around half of his attempts. He’s not as good at the rim as he used to be, but he’s still over 50% from inside of 10 feet.
Rasheed likes to shoot threes, and he does stretch the floor sometimes. However, he might be a lot more productive if he simply curbed his three-point addiction.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)