Mar 3, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
The best thing about the NBA is it is a democracy, where the fans voices are always heard and carefully considered by ownership before any decisions are made…
Right. And bacon is good for your arteries.
Still, we can dream. The fine folks at the Charlotte Observer have dreamed, and asked the people of Charlotte what is important to them, what they want to see with the ownership change to Michael Jordan.
Shockingly, they want to see a good team. Just like 29 other fan bases.
When asked to rank the most important things for Jordan to do, the top vote getter was “spend more on payroll.” When asked what was the most important factor for the Bobcats financial success, 73.7 percent of respondents said making the playoffs. And that needs to start this year, with 75 percent of respondents saying they think the Bobcats get the seventh or eighth seed this year and the right to be crushed by Cleveland or Orlando (the team currently sits in ninth place, half a game back of Miami for the final spot).
What else do they want? Michael Jordan to actually be in town. Not a shock after Bob Johnson lived in Washington D.C. to run his other businesses and was invisible at the arena. The fans would like Jordan to actually buy a house in Charlotte. You know, be part of the community.
Fans also really don’t love the name Bobcats, (the popular theory being Bob Johnson picked that so he could name the team after himself). However, there was no clear consensus on what the new name should be. The winner of a list of names was the Flight (a nod to the Wright Brothers who first flew a plane a couple hundred miles away). But Bobcats came in second with 25 percent of the vote.
Besides, it will take $3 million to $10 million to do a name change for the team. That is money that could be spent on team payroll or lowering ticket prices. Or finding a way to make bacon good for you. All far more important things than a name.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)