Mar 3, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
The best thing about the NBA is it is a democracy, where the fans voices are always heard and carefully considered by ownership before any decisions are made…
Right. And bacon is good for your arteries.
Still, we can dream. The fine folks at the Charlotte Observer have dreamed, and asked the people of Charlotte what is important to them, what they want to see with the ownership change to Michael Jordan.
Shockingly, they want to see a good team. Just like 29 other fan bases.
When asked to rank the most important things for Jordan to do, the top vote getter was “spend more on payroll.” When asked what was the most important factor for the Bobcats financial success, 73.7 percent of respondents said making the playoffs. And that needs to start this year, with 75 percent of respondents saying they think the Bobcats get the seventh or eighth seed this year and the right to be crushed by Cleveland or Orlando (the team currently sits in ninth place, half a game back of Miami for the final spot).
What else do they want? Michael Jordan to actually be in town. Not a shock after Bob Johnson lived in Washington D.C. to run his other businesses and was invisible at the arena. The fans would like Jordan to actually buy a house in Charlotte. You know, be part of the community.
Fans also really don’t love the name Bobcats, (the popular theory being Bob Johnson picked that so he could name the team after himself). However, there was no clear consensus on what the new name should be. The winner of a list of names was the Flight (a nod to the Wright Brothers who first flew a plane a couple hundred miles away). But Bobcats came in second with 25 percent of the vote.
Besides, it will take $3 million to $10 million to do a name change for the team. That is money that could be spent on team payroll or lowering ticket prices. Or finding a way to make bacon good for you. All far more important things than a name.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 19
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8