Mar 3, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
In what can only be described as the opposite of a stunning revelation, Phil Jackson has said good things about Michael Jordan. This time it was about Jordan the team owner.
“I think it’s a great opportunity for him,” Jackson said before the Los Angeles Lakers’ game against the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday. “I think it’s also an opportunity for Charlotte to get to kind of embrace basketball again. This was a team that led the NBA in attendance for maybe 10 years. They had a big arena, they fell in love with their Hornets team back in the late ’80s and ’90s and they had some great draft picks and they had some wonderful runs with their team….
“As far as ownership goes and general manager, I think there are a lot of players that are capable of doing that job,” Jackson said. “You just have to be able to connive a little bit and be able to manipulate agents and I think those are things that it takes a poker player sometimes to do that….
“I don’t think there’s any discussion about knowing talent,” Jackson said. “He sees talent and knows talent pretty well. I think he understands that concept. I think a lot of key players see those ingredients in other players that can match that [like] Jerry West kind of picking up on Kobe Bryant being that kind of a player when he was a high school guy.”
Michael Jordan picked up on Kwame Brown as a high school guy and… okay, bad example.
Jackson gets asked about Jordan in pregame talks all the time (usually in comparing him to Kobe or LeBron James). You can still sense the respect there when he talks about Jordan. And he almost never says a bad word about him. But then, as a coach, you don’t want to cross an owner (unless Jackson is talking about Mark Cuban, then all bets are off).
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 1
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 36
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Garcia's fried chicken jibe inappropriate, Tiger says
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars