Mar 3, 2010, 8:57 AM EST
The smart money has always been on LeBron staying in Cleveland.
That’s about as exciting as rose bush pruning, but it’s the truth. We in the media don’t write about it much because speculation of him shaking up the NBA with a move is a lot more fun — and gets a lot more hits. So we write about him coming to the Lakers rumors, even if the reality of that is far fetched. LeBron leaving Cleveland has never been likely.
Al Harrington of the Knicks lays out the conventional wisdom for us.
“A lot of teams would love to have him and the Knicks are one of them,” Harrington told The Post in the visiting locker room at Quicken Loans Arena Monday night.
“But if he’s as loyal as he says, I would think it’s very hard for him to leave, especially because he’s home. If it was a different city, maybe not as much a connection, but at the end of the day, he generates every single thing for this whole state. It would be tough for him to make that decision to leave.”
Boring. Dead straight truth (plus the Cavs can offer about $30 million more and one extra year compared to any other team), but boring.
Knicks general manager Donnie Walsh said the same thing as Harrington on WFAN recently, he just used fewer words.
“It’s very difficult to get a guy to come out of his hometown if he’s had success there.”
Come on, that’s not any fun. At least Tracy McGrady will play our game. Sort of.
McGrady, who considers James a friend, said Monday, “I don’t know what that kid is thinking. His own circle doesn’t know.”
That’s better. Now, about him to he Lakers…
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 10
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6