Mar 3, 2010, 11:26 AM EDT
Maybe political strategists have been wrong all along. The key to bipartisanship isn’t offering an olive branch, finding balance, or making compromises. It’s just finding the best damn rookie on the planet and parking him in your city (are you taking notes, Ernie Grunfeld?).
Former NBAer and current mayor of Sacramento Kevin Johnson teamed up with public officials representing both major political parties in offering their official endorsement of Tyreke Evans for Rookie of the Year. Not that ‘Reke necessarily needs their help — even Stephen Curry’s late push for the award is trumped by Evans’ consistent dominance — but it’s always good to have friends in high places, right?
It was a chance for some of California’s leaders to do some real, hard-hitting work…or maybe just attach their name to basketball’s next big thing. It was Tyreke Evans’ opportunity to start building up political influence for his own campaign for city hall in 2036…or maybe for the presidency. And it was a chance for people in positions of influence to nudge media members in the right direction for their ROY votes at the end of the season…or maybe (hopefully, really) telling them what they already know.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 24
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1