Mar 3, 2010, 11:12 AM EST
Want to know what the celebrity gossip is in China? Of course you do, who doesn’t? One of my goals in life was always to be a Chinese gossip columnist, so here goes:
Yao Ming’s baby could be born in America — and that would be a national disgrace.
Yao and his wife Ye Li are expecting their first child this summer. A proud moment for them. And we are all expecting another basketball prodigy — Ye is a basketball player herself.
Yao and Ye recently returned to America, fueling rampant speculation in China that the couple intends to have the baby on American soil, giving the child full citizenship in the USA. Turns out in China, they closely follow the personal lives of their celebrities and make big deals out of personal things — thank goodness we don’t do that here in America.
And people are freaking out on the (heavily restricted) Internet in China. Thank goodness people don’t do that here, either.
Chinese fans online have said that would be a betrayal of China – in part because it could deny the country a future star for the national team. Ye is also a basketball player, and stands 6 feet, 2 inches tall – still well short of Yao’s 7-6.
Yao’s baby would automatically be an American citizen if born in the U.S. She also could claim Chinese citizenship as the child of Chinese nationals, though Chinese law does not recognize dual citizenship.
Isn’t it fun to watch nations struggle in an increasingly borderless world? Well, it would be if it wasn’t so sad.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 3
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 12
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20