Mar 3, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Want to know what the celebrity gossip is in China? Of course you do, who doesn’t? One of my goals in life was always to be a Chinese gossip columnist, so here goes:
Yao Ming’s baby could be born in America — and that would be a national disgrace.
Yao and his wife Ye Li are expecting their first child this summer. A proud moment for them. And we are all expecting another basketball prodigy — Ye is a basketball player herself.
Yao and Ye recently returned to America, fueling rampant speculation in China that the couple intends to have the baby on American soil, giving the child full citizenship in the USA. Turns out in China, they closely follow the personal lives of their celebrities and make big deals out of personal things — thank goodness we don’t do that here in America.
And people are freaking out on the (heavily restricted) Internet in China. Thank goodness people don’t do that here, either.
Chinese fans online have said that would be a betrayal of China – in part because it could deny the country a future star for the national team. Ye is also a basketball player, and stands 6 feet, 2 inches tall – still well short of Yao’s 7-6.
Yao’s baby would automatically be an American citizen if born in the U.S. She also could claim Chinese citizenship as the child of Chinese nationals, though Chinese law does not recognize dual citizenship.
Isn’t it fun to watch nations struggle in an increasingly borderless world? Well, it would be if it wasn’t so sad.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20