Mar 3, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Want to know what the celebrity gossip is in China? Of course you do, who doesn’t? One of my goals in life was always to be a Chinese gossip columnist, so here goes:
Yao Ming’s baby could be born in America — and that would be a national disgrace.
Yao and his wife Ye Li are expecting their first child this summer. A proud moment for them. And we are all expecting another basketball prodigy — Ye is a basketball player herself.
Yao and Ye recently returned to America, fueling rampant speculation in China that the couple intends to have the baby on American soil, giving the child full citizenship in the USA. Turns out in China, they closely follow the personal lives of their celebrities and make big deals out of personal things — thank goodness we don’t do that here in America.
And people are freaking out on the (heavily restricted) Internet in China. Thank goodness people don’t do that here, either.
Chinese fans online have said that would be a betrayal of China – in part because it could deny the country a future star for the national team. Ye is also a basketball player, and stands 6 feet, 2 inches tall – still well short of Yao’s 7-6.
Yao’s baby would automatically be an American citizen if born in the U.S. She also could claim Chinese citizenship as the child of Chinese nationals, though Chinese law does not recognize dual citizenship.
Isn’t it fun to watch nations struggle in an increasingly borderless world? Well, it would be if it wasn’t so sad.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 0
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record