Mar 3, 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
Like the guy in the red uniform that beams down with Captain Kirk and Spock to the planet, we all know how some things are going to end. (Poorly for that guy.) Same with the the Zydrunas Ilgauskas courtship.
The Boston Celtics — desperate to add anyone, to the point they are seriously talking to Michael Finley — talked to Big Z and his agent and figured out quickly what was going on and gave up.
Ilgauskas is going back to the Cavaliers. Everyone knows this, but there is a mating dance that has to take place.
Cleveland started dancing this week.
According to league sources, shortly after Ilgauskas cleared waivers and became a free agent Monday afternoon, the team swung into action. After not speaking with him since he was traded Feb. 17, Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry flew to New York after being with Shaquille O’Neal for his thumb surgery in Baltimore on Monday morning…
Then on Tuesday, sources said, several of Ilgauskas’ former and perhaps soon-to-be reunited teammates came to see him after the team flew into town for Wednesday’s game against the New Jersey Nets.
A decision could come down in the next few days.
With Shaq out, Cleveland needs Big Z back for the stretch run. While the Cavs can crush the lowly Knicks without a traditional center, other teams (see: Magic, Orlando) will not be so easy.
There never has really been any doubt how this was going to end. Time to get it done and end the silly mating dance.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 2
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 16
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25