Mar 3, 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
Like the guy in the red uniform that beams down with Captain Kirk and Spock to the planet, we all know how some things are going to end. (Poorly for that guy.) Same with the the Zydrunas Ilgauskas courtship.
The Boston Celtics — desperate to add anyone, to the point they are seriously talking to Michael Finley — talked to Big Z and his agent and figured out quickly what was going on and gave up.
Ilgauskas is going back to the Cavaliers. Everyone knows this, but there is a mating dance that has to take place.
Cleveland started dancing this week.
According to league sources, shortly after Ilgauskas cleared waivers and became a free agent Monday afternoon, the team swung into action. After not speaking with him since he was traded Feb. 17, Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry flew to New York after being with Shaquille O’Neal for his thumb surgery in Baltimore on Monday morning…
Then on Tuesday, sources said, several of Ilgauskas’ former and perhaps soon-to-be reunited teammates came to see him after the team flew into town for Wednesday’s game against the New Jersey Nets.
A decision could come down in the next few days.
With Shaq out, Cleveland needs Big Z back for the stretch run. While the Cavs can crush the lowly Knicks without a traditional center, other teams (see: Magic, Orlando) will not be so easy.
There never has really been any doubt how this was going to end. Time to get it done and end the silly mating dance.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 4
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 7
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 11
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 4
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 37
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1