Mar 2, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
Like it was the Zapruder film, Cavaliers and Celtics fans have been poring over the footage from the thumb injury to Shaquille O’Neal. And, as they always do (for some odd reason), the conspiracy freaks have found a new cause:
Glen Davis intentionally hurt Shaq’s thumb.
An extended video from the game shows that the Cavs actually had a second offensive possession before O’Neal was removed from the game. The video shows Davis grabbing at O’Neal’s thumb, and the exchange clearly happened after the initial injury.
Check out the video and decide for yourself.
Clearly Big Baby is going after the thumb on the possession after the injury, but it’s hard to where any actual damage happens. However, when Shaq gets the ball on that possession is when he calls time out.
It seems a bit like the JFK assassination to me in that people are trying to prescribe far more complex and sinister motives when the most simple of explanations is likely. But people love their conspiracy theories.
Of course, if Davis really did aggravate Shaw’s injury and take him out of the game, LeBron James and the Cavaliers should send him a box of chocolates as a thank you. The Celtics were up 11 and beating Cleveland down until Shaq got inured, the Cavaliers had to go small and they just ran over the Celtics.
The CIA term for that is blowback — the unintended consequences of a covert action. Although, to think the outcome was blowback is thou think there was a conspiracy in the first place.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 7
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 32
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 25
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 14
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12