Mar 2, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
I’m honestly very, very happy for Kevin Martin and Aaron Brooks. We always knew those two kids would get together in a guard rotation, and I couldn’t be more excited for them and theirs during this incredible time. There’s nothing quite like it, and though the dark clouds that inevitably come for everyone will put a damper on things, no one can take this honeymoon away from them.
Isn’t love just grand?
Kevin Martin seems to think so, and he’s beyond smitten with his new team and his new backcourt mate, per Dan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
On a night he and Brooks scored 28 points apiece, Martin went a bit over the top.
“I knew he was good,” Martin said. “I never got a chance to see him play this much, but he is amazing. He is a scoring point guard. Most shooting guards don’t really like that but I love it, just the way he gets everything and by the end of his career he is going to be the greatest six foot and under scorer that this game has ever seen.”
Despite the incredibly popular criticisms to the contrary, scoring point guards (like Aaron Brooks) can find a lot of success on the right team and in the right system. I wouldn’t say that pairing Brooks with Martin, a natural scorer who has never really demonstrated much playmaking ability, is necessarily a natural fit. But both are atypical athletes who have found success in unique ways. They can work it out, they can work it out.
Besides, Houston is just glad to have finally found the scoring threat that Trevor Ariza never was, and Martin is thrilled to be in a winning situation. There’s nothing wrong with being a bit lovey-dovey right now, and though the Rockets aren’t exactly competing for the title this year, everything’s still coming up roses.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 37
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89