Mar 2, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
I’m honestly very, very happy for Kevin Martin and Aaron Brooks. We always knew those two kids would get together in a guard rotation, and I couldn’t be more excited for them and theirs during this incredible time. There’s nothing quite like it, and though the dark clouds that inevitably come for everyone will put a damper on things, no one can take this honeymoon away from them.
Isn’t love just grand?
Kevin Martin seems to think so, and he’s beyond smitten with his new team and his new backcourt mate, per Dan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
On a night he and Brooks scored 28 points apiece, Martin went a bit over the top.
“I knew he was good,” Martin said. “I never got a chance to see him play this much, but he is amazing. He is a scoring point guard. Most shooting guards don’t really like that but I love it, just the way he gets everything and by the end of his career he is going to be the greatest six foot and under scorer that this game has ever seen.”
Despite the incredibly popular criticisms to the contrary, scoring point guards (like Aaron Brooks) can find a lot of success on the right team and in the right system. I wouldn’t say that pairing Brooks with Martin, a natural scorer who has never really demonstrated much playmaking ability, is necessarily a natural fit. But both are atypical athletes who have found success in unique ways. They can work it out, they can work it out.
Besides, Houston is just glad to have finally found the scoring threat that Trevor Ariza never was, and Martin is thrilled to be in a winning situation. There’s nothing wrong with being a bit lovey-dovey right now, and though the Rockets aren’t exactly competing for the title this year, everything’s still coming up roses.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18