Mar 2, 2010, 1:10 PM EST
For the Indiana Pacers to be just average, Danny Granger has to be miles above average. And lately he has been — shooting 49% (eight points above his season average) in his last five games, and he has two 30 point outbursts in that time.
But Granger — maybe the league’s most underrated player — is doing it with a very heavy heart due to a family issue, he told the Indianapolis Star.
“I didn’t think things would be this bad, but adversity always will make you stronger regardless if it’s in basketball or in your personal life,” he said. “It’ll make me stronger and I’ll deal with it and I’ll move on….”
“Sometimes basketball can be considered a release for you, but when you have something weighing on you so heavy, I zone out at times,” Granger said. “Basketball is what I do, but a lot of things are more important. When you’re dealing with stuff with your family, it takes a toll on you mentality. It takes a lot to recover.”
Granger has declined to make public the problem, saying only that it will take time to heal. This is just the latest in what has been a very long season for Granger and the Pacers, as he has fought of foot injuries and the team has struggled mightily on the court due largely to an offense challenged to score points. (They want to be a running team, but they lack quality ball handlers, a minor problem with the plan.)
Tonight it doesn’t get any easier facing the Lakers in Los Angeles, just the start of a tough West Coast road swing.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11