Mar 2, 2010, 1:10 PM EDT
For the Indiana Pacers to be just average, Danny Granger has to be miles above average. And lately he has been — shooting 49% (eight points above his season average) in his last five games, and he has two 30 point outbursts in that time.
But Granger — maybe the league’s most underrated player — is doing it with a very heavy heart due to a family issue, he told the Indianapolis Star.
“I didn’t think things would be this bad, but adversity always will make you stronger regardless if it’s in basketball or in your personal life,” he said. “It’ll make me stronger and I’ll deal with it and I’ll move on….”
“Sometimes basketball can be considered a release for you, but when you have something weighing on you so heavy, I zone out at times,” Granger said. “Basketball is what I do, but a lot of things are more important. When you’re dealing with stuff with your family, it takes a toll on you mentality. It takes a lot to recover.”
Granger has declined to make public the problem, saying only that it will take time to heal. This is just the latest in what has been a very long season for Granger and the Pacers, as he has fought of foot injuries and the team has struggled mightily on the court due largely to an offense challenged to score points. (They want to be a running team, but they lack quality ball handlers, a minor problem with the plan.)
Tonight it doesn’t get any easier facing the Lakers in Los Angeles, just the start of a tough West Coast road swing.
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39