Mar 2, 2010, 11:11 AM EDT
San Antonio didn’t have plans to let Michael Finley go, he wanted out. He asked out. He bounced the idea off teammates for a few weeks then, according to the San Antonio Express News, went and talked to the man.
When Finley finally presented his request to Popovich, the coach was caught unaware.
“I was very surprised,” (Gregg) Popovich said, “but we granted his request…. We didn’t let him go. He requested a buyout so he could leave, and we granted that. That’s different from saying we let him go, or it could be to people that read the paper. I want to make sure that distinction is made.”
We get it Pops, wasn’t your idea. It was Finley’s, because he has overestimated his worth.
The 2007 Finley had a lot of value to a contending team, but the 2010 version does not. Finley was a starter for the Spurs coming out of training camp but lost that and kept seeing his minutes go down as the season wore on. He even earned some DNP-CDs. The reason is he is not a deadly shooter anymore, hitting just 38 percent overall and 31.7 percent from three this season. Simply put, if Popovich benches you, it’s not because you’re playing well.
Celts looking to add Michael Finley so Rasheed “doesn’t feel so washed up”
The other rumor is the Lakers. Sort of. The rumor doesn’t come from the Lakers but rather Yahoo is reporting that a league executive thinks the Lakers could become interested to help their bench. Again, based on the theory that Finley can still knock down threes under pressure.
Do any team executives still think that?
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3