Mar 2, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
It’s the kind of headline that draws us bloggers like moths to a flame, but before reading the next line, please take a generous amount of salt:
Gilbert Arenas is freaking out.
That’s what ESPN the Magazine is reporting, through it’s new Player X column — a column written anonymously by an “NBA Star.” (You can get it online if you fork over for Insider.) It was a well crafted bit of writing, so we can safely assume it is ghost written for an NBA star, because if not the pool of candidates drops dramatically.
The anonymous player cites “word around the league” that Arenas is freaking out. That is your evidence — an anonymous player citing hearsay? William Randolph Hurst would have blushed at running that as fact.
As Dan Steinberg notes, Player X also says that Javaris Crittenton may be done, because general managers won’t touch him after the gun incident. That may be true, may not be. GMs are very forgiving if you can ball, but if you fail to live up to your potential regularly they are less inclined to take a risk.
But I’d take the Crittenton “news” with some salt, as well.
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 6
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 17
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 36
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 6