Mar 2, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
It’s the kind of headline that draws us bloggers like moths to a flame, but before reading the next line, please take a generous amount of salt:
Gilbert Arenas is freaking out.
That’s what ESPN the Magazine is reporting, through it’s new Player X column — a column written anonymously by an “NBA Star.” (You can get it online if you fork over for Insider.) It was a well crafted bit of writing, so we can safely assume it is ghost written for an NBA star, because if not the pool of candidates drops dramatically.
The anonymous player cites “word around the league” that Arenas is freaking out. That is your evidence — an anonymous player citing hearsay? William Randolph Hurst would have blushed at running that as fact.
As Dan Steinberg notes, Player X also says that Javaris Crittenton may be done, because general managers won’t touch him after the gun incident. That may be true, may not be. GMs are very forgiving if you can ball, but if you fail to live up to your potential regularly they are less inclined to take a risk.
But I’d take the Crittenton “news” with some salt, as well.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs can clinch title vs. Heat in Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'