Mar 1, 2010, 6:21 PM EDT
After the Minnesota Timberwolves drafted superstar international prospect Ricky Rubio, Rubio elected to stay in Spain for at least another season. Many believe that he never intends to play for the Timberwolves, and is waiting for his rights to be traded to a team in a more favorable market before coming to the NBA.
“I was over there. I saw him play in Serbia a few weeks ago. We have people at most of his games. There’s no reason for us to think otherwise. We developed a very solid relationship with his representatives, and more importantly, perhaps, his family, this past summer. It wasn’t an issue of him having any concern about Minnesota whatsoever. I think at the end of the day he just felt that him having a couple more years in Europe would be the smart and prudent thing for him to do. He had a lot of input from his Spanish National team members, who all think he can play here, but also thought that a few more years of development would help him. I don’t have any reason not to think that’s true, either.”
Kahn likely knows Rubio’s future plans better than most. It is debatable whether or not he knew that Rubio would stay in Spain for at least two seasons before coming to Minnesota, but it appears he’s comfortable with how Rubio fits into his five-year plan. One thing that’s clear is that Timberwolves fans will have to continue to be patient with their young club.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37