Mar 1, 2010, 6:21 PM EDT
After the Minnesota Timberwolves drafted superstar international prospect Ricky Rubio, Rubio elected to stay in Spain for at least another season. Many believe that he never intends to play for the Timberwolves, and is waiting for his rights to be traded to a team in a more favorable market before coming to the NBA.
“I was over there. I saw him play in Serbia a few weeks ago. We have people at most of his games. There’s no reason for us to think otherwise. We developed a very solid relationship with his representatives, and more importantly, perhaps, his family, this past summer. It wasn’t an issue of him having any concern about Minnesota whatsoever. I think at the end of the day he just felt that him having a couple more years in Europe would be the smart and prudent thing for him to do. He had a lot of input from his Spanish National team members, who all think he can play here, but also thought that a few more years of development would help him. I don’t have any reason not to think that’s true, either.”
Kahn likely knows Rubio’s future plans better than most. It is debatable whether or not he knew that Rubio would stay in Spain for at least two seasons before coming to Minnesota, but it appears he’s comfortable with how Rubio fits into his five-year plan. One thing that’s clear is that Timberwolves fans will have to continue to be patient with their young club.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 11
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7