Mar 1, 2010, 6:21 PM EDT
After the Minnesota Timberwolves drafted superstar international prospect Ricky Rubio, Rubio elected to stay in Spain for at least another season. Many believe that he never intends to play for the Timberwolves, and is waiting for his rights to be traded to a team in a more favorable market before coming to the NBA.
“I was over there. I saw him play in Serbia a few weeks ago. We have people at most of his games. There’s no reason for us to think otherwise. We developed a very solid relationship with his representatives, and more importantly, perhaps, his family, this past summer. It wasn’t an issue of him having any concern about Minnesota whatsoever. I think at the end of the day he just felt that him having a couple more years in Europe would be the smart and prudent thing for him to do. He had a lot of input from his Spanish National team members, who all think he can play here, but also thought that a few more years of development would help him. I don’t have any reason not to think that’s true, either.”
Kahn likely knows Rubio’s future plans better than most. It is debatable whether or not he knew that Rubio would stay in Spain for at least two seasons before coming to Minnesota, but it appears he’s comfortable with how Rubio fits into his five-year plan. One thing that’s clear is that Timberwolves fans will have to continue to be patient with their young club.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 4
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 22
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9