Mar 1, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
How badly does Tony Battie want to win?
He is one of the prime candidates to be bought out today, and if the deal is done by the league-set midnight deadline he can sign with another team and be on their playoff roster.
Battie is owed about $1.7 million for the remainder of this season (on his $6.5 million deal). The Nets would not miss him and would be happy to send him on his way, but they also have no motive to do so unless they can save money. So Nets President Rod Thorn is offering Battie the chance for his freedom, the chance to sign somewhere else and for his season to have meaning, but at a rate well below what Battie would make if he stayed put.
“Honestly, I’m not sure,” Battie told ESPN.com. “I’m going to be professional about it, and whatever happens happens. That’s kind of where I’m going to leave it because I honestly feel that way.
“It’s not smart to leave money on the table knowing that you still have to go out and find a team that’s going to be a taker, so you don’t want to put yourself in limbo to leave a situation and not have a 100 percent guaranteed deal waiting somewhere else,” Battie said.
On one hand Battie doesn’t strike you as a guy with a lot left to give — he has battled a foot injury all season. has played in just 15 games for the Nets, averaging 2.4 points per game on 35 percent shooting. If you can’t crack the six-win Nets rotation, whose can you can you crack?
But he is a 6’11” center who could provide some playoff minutes off the bench — last season he played in 21 playoff games for the Magic. He played a small but effective role for them. With playoff teams such as Atlanta and Denver (maybe Cleveland?) looking for a little front-line depth for the post-season, Battie likely would have suitors.
But will he leave money on the table just to win?
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47