Mar 1, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:06 pm: Reports are coming in. Two serious contenders, Cleveland and Denver will not have anything to do with Finley. The Mavericks will take a pass as well. The one team interested — Boston. Because they are getting too young.
1:41 pm: Michael Finley would like to contribute to a contender. He’s barely playing in San Antonio and they are not a contender, so the Spurs have agreed waived him.
That’s according to Marc Stein of ESPN. Finley was one of the most feared sharpshooters in the NBA just a couple years back, but in very limited action this season his is shooting 38 percent, 31.7 percent from three. Look, Gregg Popovich is no dummy — if you can help you are getting some burn. If you are not getting burn, it’s all on you.
Finley is 36 right now, and drawing one if his final NBA paychecks. We’ll see if anyone thinks he can help them, he asked out so maybe he has gotten nibbles. But the days of the feared Finley off the bench — remember him with those 2007 Spurs? — are gone.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47