Mar 1, 2010, 5:12 PM EST
UPDATE 5:06 pm: Reports are coming in. Two serious contenders, Cleveland and Denver will not have anything to do with Finley. The Mavericks will take a pass as well. The one team interested — Boston. Because they are getting too young.
1:41 pm: Michael Finley would like to contribute to a contender. He’s barely playing in San Antonio and they are not a contender, so the Spurs have agreed waived him.
That’s according to Marc Stein of ESPN. Finley was one of the most feared sharpshooters in the NBA just a couple years back, but in very limited action this season his is shooting 38 percent, 31.7 percent from three. Look, Gregg Popovich is no dummy — if you can help you are getting some burn. If you are not getting burn, it’s all on you.
Finley is 36 right now, and drawing one if his final NBA paychecks. We’ll see if anyone thinks he can help them, he asked out so maybe he has gotten nibbles. But the days of the feared Finley off the bench — remember him with those 2007 Spurs? — are gone.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 2
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 20
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42