Mar 1, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
Allen Iverson was not with the Philadelphia 76ers this weekend. He was not at home either, but rather at a club and event in Charlotte. Sports by Brooks has the twitter and other evidence.
Iverson remains on leave from the Sixers to deal with the undiagnosed illness of his four-year-old daughter. Through all the time off and the questions, Iverson has talked about his family being first.
Let’s not go overboard — Iverson was attending the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) weekend event because of the creation of the CIAA Allen Iverson Scholarship Endowment. That is a big deal, a worthy cause and a good reason to make an appearance.
But the perception is not good, that he was out at a club rather than by the bed of his sick daughter. As Iverson has found out a lot through his career, perception is its own reality (and one completely separate from the truth).
Before Friday night’s game in Los Angeles, Sixers coach Eddie Jordan was asked about Iverson.
“We’re not really concerned about him right now, we want him to be concerned about his family,” Jordan said. He and the others with the Sixers said they would deal more with Iverson after their West Coast swing was over.
He wasn’t at practice on Monday, as the team got back after it following their West Coast swing. He will not play tonight against Orlando. Look for some kind of decision in the coming days on Iverson’s future with the next few days.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 8
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 28
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85