Good to know Tracy McGrady is completely delusional about LeBron

Mar 1, 2010, 2:51 PM EDT

Tracy McGrady is getting lots and lots of attention in New York for a guy who is barely able to get time because of injury. But good for him! He’s been quieted by Houston, and now he’s out and wants to soak it in a bit. Good to be chatty, and the media loves them some TMac.

But it turns out McGrady has also had another injury we weren’t aware of, a concussion. Because the only way he’s making the kind of statements he told reporters today he made is if he got whacked in the head with something. Via the New York Daily News:

Tracy McGrady made yet another reference today about recruiting LeBron James to New York.
McGrady told reporters that after the Knicks traded for him two weeks ago he exchanged text messages with LeBron and told him “I’ll see you here next year.”

Okay, let’s throw out the Knicks lack of an attractive championship-caliber roster, their limited abilities under a reduced cap, their lack of a any sort of longterm assets due to trading away or swapping picks for the next three years. Toss all that aside and you still have a problem.

The odds of both the Knicks signing LeBron and then re-signing McGrady, even to a vet’s minimum, are astronomical. The Knicks have to A. convince another max-level player to come play with LeBron just to get James inside the Garden’s lobby, and then B. sign capable, reliable players to surround those two with so that they don’t waste the greatest free agent signing in the history of the NBA. Does Tracy McGrady fit that mold? Does Tracy McGrady fit the mold of a guy who would carry that guy’s bags?

McGrady was once a living legend, capable of dominating the game. Now he’s talking crazy like. The optimism is admirable, if frightfully out of touch with reality.

1. Ted - Mar 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

“The odds of both the Knicks signing LeBron and then re-signing McGrady, even to a vet’s minimum, are astronomical. The Knicks have to A. convince another max-level player to come play with LeBron just to get James inside the Garden’s lobby”
    1. Astronomical is an overly-strong word
    2. Your comment about another max level player is baseless. Did Lebron tell you this? No? Oh ok so that’s just what you think based on… nothing. Ok got it

2. Bad for the Knicks - Mar 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

It’s looking bad for the Knicks. Real bad. LBJ is making pretty well off in Cleveland. Slowly but surely chipping away at that glass ceiling for the NBA Championship. My guess is he stays.

3. OldSchooler - Mar 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Matt, Given your last three or four articles (Phil’s comment about the Z trade, your reaction to Gasol’s misguided complaints about K-Mart, etc.), I’d suggest you examine yourself for signs of concussion. Maybe you hit your head on your monitor and didn’t realize it. T-Mac has credentials, you don’t. Texting Lebron to say “I’ll see you next year” is a perfectly normal, suggestive, optimistic thing to do. You know a lot about suggestive writing (all negative), but, apparently, not much about optimism. You should switch to political commentary because your sports commentary leaves something to be desired.

4. steveo - Mar 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM

oldschooler, that was the lamest thing I’ve ever read.
    there is a point when optimism becomes delusion and tmac and knicks fans are well beyond that point.

5. OldSchooler - Mar 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Steveo, Well, I get your point about the sad state of the Knicks. But I don’t think it is delusional for Tracy to believe that he can come back from his injury. It’s optimistic and typical of a professional athlete. We’ll see if he can. And, it is completely possible that Lebron will go to New York. It’s even possible that T-Mac will sign for a minimum salary and be there with LBJ. He said he would. So, if you think that not being cynical is lame, so be it. I still say that Matt Moore is totally negative, not objective, has no love for the league or the players, and doesn’t know the game. He should not be writing about the NBA. Best regards.

6. Gabe - Mar 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Anyone who believes that T-Mac can come back from injury–even T-Mac himself–is delusional. He can not get healthy, that is his problem. If he would be able to stay healthy than he very well could have been that top notch player that LeBron would want to play with. But with him constantly missing almost the entire season every season, who would want to go play with him and think they could win championships? Besides, LeBron has already rebuilt the Cavs into one of the top teams in the nation, why would he want to go rebuild another team?

7. OldSchooler - Mar 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Sorry my friend. I’m not delusional. If the Cavs don’t win the title this year it is highly possible, maybe even probable, that Lebron walks. As far as T-Mac’s recovery goes, it’s not up to your belief or my belief. It’s up to T-Mac’s belief and will power. Lots of players have done it. Recently, Amare, Grant, and Z come to mind. Your negativity is obvious and irrelevant. I know that Cleveland fans don’t want to think about the possibility of LBJ leaving and maybe he won’t. But, if the Cavs don’t win the title, stay tuned.

8. luffy - Mar 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I totally agree w/OldSchooler. although it seems that you only see delusional comebacks in movies it really does happen, it’s up to T-Mac on how badly he wants to be a winner again…

9. joebrowns - Mar 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Yep, Lebron is just dying to play for the Knicks. Those same Knicks that were down 49…FOURTY-NINE….

10. Ron - Mar 2, 2010 at 12:46 AM

But where, oldSchooler? Even if the Cavs don’t win it this year, they are top two to contend the following year. I don’t see him going anywhere else? I mean where? Those rumors about going to the Lakers are ridiculous, unless he wants to sign for the veteran’s minimum. I can’t see that happening at all.
    New York/New Jersey is a non-starter, and all the other teams making cap space for him are pathetic. My vote is he stays, no matter what happens this year.

11. kelanhnan - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:14 AM

I think deep down inside Lebron would love to play for NY, or LA. But he also realized that his chance of winning a title in NY is very slim comparing to staying Cleveland, or go to LA. Now I don’t see how Lebron can possible go to LA to help Kobe win championship, because any title he wins in LA will be regarded as Kobe’s show. Now stay in Cleveland, I don’t know how the management will do after they signed him to the extension. It’s like, ok now we got you here, we just take our time and build a team around you mentality. Instead of a must-win desperate situation they may lose Lebron if they don’t try hard and do whatever it takes to keep Lebron. But in a perfect world, I would love to see Lebron wins a title in Cleveland, then he can truly free to go where ever he likes, because Cleveland has suffered enough heartache, they don’t need another one and this one might hurt a long time more than all other heartaches.

12. OldSchooler - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Hi Ron. Yes, if I had to bet money I guess I’d bet on Lebron staying in Cleveland. He’s got the weight of all of northern Ohio holding him there. But I also think that Lebron wants to make his mark as one of the all-time greats and they all won titles. So he’s probably going to think long and hard about making a move if Cleveland doesn’t win the title this year. Very similar to the situation KG was in a few years ago. The good news is that they (Cavs) have to be the favorites for winning this year. If they don’t I’d look at Miami as the most likely place Lebron might go. The Heat have cap space, a large market, and D-Wade. Let’s face it, Lebron has mobility. He could probably almost name his city and the owner of whatever team he picked would scramble to find a way to sign him. Despite the rumors about LA, the Lakers seem to be the least likely team to be able to sign him. Hey, I am a Cleveland native (in NYC now) who became a Laker fan back in the late 50′s and early 60′s when Cleveland didn’t have a team (except for the 60-61 ABA Cleveland Pipers, who won the title that year). So I’d be happy to see the Cavs win. Or the Lakers. Or the Nuggets. Or Miami. Or Dallas. I love the NBA. Hmm, that’s a catchy phrase.

13. alan - Mar 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Huh, I hate to break it to anyone out there that thinks Tracy Mcgrady is going to make a comeback but he’s not. This guy has been an absolute waste of talent. Talk about someone who is in it for the money! Don’t get me wrong, when he came into the league I thought he could surpass Kobe and eventually be the dominant player in the game. He had the moves to get to the basket and the outside shot to be a threat. He has never had the drive to be a champion. You hear Kobe, Lebron, D Wade, KG talk about winning championships. That’s all they ever talk about, that is there main goal. Never once did I hear Tracy McGrady ever say anything about winning championships. If this guy had had any motivation when he was younger we could have been talking about who was going to be traded to play alongside him.

14. moe - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I agree, luv it when writers or some guy sitting some where think they know more then everyone else. the most they do is interview the guy…but god stop everything if the guy who plays with him and talks to him more then u has a comment.

15. Gerrell - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM

16. Gerrell - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Ok first off.. T-Mac can’t stay healthy to save his life, but to his credit he has worked bery hard to get back to playing a legitimate role in any franchise willing to take a risk on him (knicks). As far Lebron.. He won’t be going to the Knicks (and no he didn’t tell me directly) but when you think of the person Lebron is, just his character alone, he is very very loyal. he has basically not only made the Cavaliers relevant, but that entire city, no that state mean something. Money Lebron has and due to Tiger Woods recent struggles in his personnal life is well on his way to become the 1st billionaire athlete a goal he set out to do when he was 20. Think of what it will do for that City, State, and His Legacy itself to have the best player in the League when a championship there. He runs Ohio (ask Braylon Edwards) and He Wants to win a championship there.. that’s his goal and he

17. antonio - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

i dont think bron bron is going too tha knickes.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches