Feb 28, 2010, 11:41 AM EDT
Wes Matthews fails to appear on most people’s lists of rookies making an impact this season. But Matthews has moved into the starting role, and shined in the Jazz’ beatdown of the Rockets Saturday night, scoring 18 points. His contributions off the box score are what have put him in this position.
Matthews plays smart basketball in the flow of the Jazz offense. For rookie guards playing at least 20 minutes, he has the third lowest percentage of possessions resulting in a turnover (via Basketball Reference). He handles the ball much less than the other guards on that list (primarily point guards), but his contributions still come with the benefits and without costly turnovers.
Jerry Sloan is notoriously tough on rookies, which makes Matthews development, as an undrafted rookie all the more impressive. Combine that with the work Sloan has given D-League call-up Sundiata Gaines, and you have to ask: Are we seeing the beginning of a new, gentler Sloan?
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 0
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 9
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 17
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'