Feb 28, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
The Lakers have two results possible from this game. Awesome and ‘meh.’
For everything their detractors may claim, the Lakers are still the best team in the league, 1-6. Their only weak link in their starting five is a veteran stalwart who’s known for hitting some of the most clutch shots in the history of the NBA. They have unfathomable length on the defensive end, able to disrupt passing lanes even without much effort, let alone before their overload system starts killing. They feature premier players and are still the NBA’s elite.
Even their losses to the better teams in the league can be sloughed off. Their injuries provide excuses as does the fact that most have come in individual slumps. When provoked, as they were against the Mavs earlier this season, they can still strike like thunder from the gods.
The Nuggets on the other hand, have two possible results from this game. ‘Fine’ and ‘crap.’
If they win, well it builds their confidence in being able to defeat the Lakers in the playoffs, but doesn’t certify it. It is easily dismissed as “just a regular season game” (or three). It’s necessary to not allow a backslide from being in a position of strength as the season goes on. It’s important to win.
If they don’t win, then the other wins are invalidated, fair or not. “When the season got later, and the Lakers started trying, they overwhelmed the Nuggets.” That’s the cost of trying to overcome a champion.
The problem for Denver is that even with their earlier wins, they rely on hot shooting. If the defensive effort comes from LA that can show up, they’re nearly impossible to beat. Kobe Bryant can’t be shut down without injury, and while the Denver bigs are tough, physical, and efficient, the Laker bigs are just more talented. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a 15-point Laker win today, as a statement.
Then again, I said Boston would annihilate the Nets yesterday. Should be a good one regardless.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28