Feb 28, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
The Cavs have released a statement concerning the health of injured center Shaquille O’Neal:
“Cavaliers center Shaquille O’Neal underwent evaluation, including a”MRI, at Cleveland Clinic Sports Health late Saturday afternoon upon the team’s return from Toronto, the results of which confirmed a significant sprain to his right thumb. He will travel with Cavaliers Head Team Physician Dr. Richard Parker today for additional evaluation by Dr. Thomas Graham at the National Hand Center in Baltimore, Maryland. His status will be updated following that exam as appropriate. His game status remains Out and no time table for his return to play has been established yet.”
First off, there’s a National Hand Center? Is J.P. Prewitt getting help there?
This is sounding more and more like something severe, which would be a significant blow to the Cavs’ hopes of maintaining the top seed in the East. If he needs surgery, the impact could be even greater. We’ll keep you updated on Shaq’s status and any developments.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4