Feb 28, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
The Cavs have released a statement concerning the health of injured center Shaquille O’Neal:
“Cavaliers center Shaquille O’Neal underwent evaluation, including a”MRI, at Cleveland Clinic Sports Health late Saturday afternoon upon the team’s return from Toronto, the results of which confirmed a significant sprain to his right thumb. He will travel with Cavaliers Head Team Physician Dr. Richard Parker today for additional evaluation by Dr. Thomas Graham at the National Hand Center in Baltimore, Maryland. His status will be updated following that exam as appropriate. His game status remains Out and no time table for his return to play has been established yet.”
First off, there’s a National Hand Center? Is J.P. Prewitt getting help there?
This is sounding more and more like something severe, which would be a significant blow to the Cavs’ hopes of maintaining the top seed in the East. If he needs surgery, the impact could be even greater. We’ll keep you updated on Shaq’s status and any developments.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8