Feb 27, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Earlier, we told you of the sign that appeared in the Celtics’ locker room, proclaiming that individuals win games, but teams win championships.
Today, at least, the Boston Celtics were neither individuals nor teams, apparently.
The New Jersey Nets beat the Boston Celtics in Boston 104-96. This isn’t the end of the world for the Celtics, but you can see it from here. It’s too bad that a huge win for a struggling (to say the least) Nets team will be overlooked since it more evidently seems like rock-bottom for a Celtics team that is supposed to compete for if not win a title.
The isolated loss isn’t a problem. After all it’s still February, and that is not when championships are made. The problem is that today is indicative of the Celtics’ season. An uninspiring performance at home, following a disappointing loss to a rival at home, in a season plagued by injuries, inconsistency, and second-half collapses.
This thing is salvageable. To believe it’s not is to ignore their record and their talent. But the things which are necessary for a team that does not overwhelm with ability, as the Celtics fail to do, needs strong bench role support and phenomenal coaching.
Everyone forgets the thing line between Doc Rivers and a pink slip prior to the magical offseason that brought in the Big 3. And he certainly coached well in 2008, particularly in the Finals.
But the team is simply not responding to anything right now. It goes out, expects the same result it established in 2008, and then sulks when things like losing to the worst team in basketball happens.
This thing is salvageable, but it’s going to take a lot more than catchy slogans or the return of Paul Pierce for this team to reach the summit.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 6
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 11
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7