Feb 27, 2010, 6:11 PM EDT
The Lakers haven’t been exactly awesome against the Western second place Nuggets this season. They’re 0-2 against Denver this season, and the games haven’t exactly been down to the wire.
But still, the Lakers are nothing if (over-)confident. And despite the fact that we’re now entering the part of the season where they say the games “matter” (as opposed to the rest of the games this season which don’t count towards playoff seeding, apparently), the Lakers’ hubris is as strong as ever. The blessing of being the defending champs, as it were.
Via Kevin Ding’s Twitter account, we get this jewel from Lamar Odom:
“They really look forward to playing us. … We just saw it as one more game.”
Well, then. As long as you’re bringing your A-game, Lamar.
And after reading the deep smattering of dismissals from essentially everyone on the Lakers not named Josh Powell from Chris Tomasson, it’s apparent that LO is not the only Laker that refuses to admit the Nuggets may be a legitimate rival.
Tomasson notes that it will take a loss in the playoffs for the Lakers to take Denver seriously, which is spot on. The Denver series was about the least competitive six game series you can have. But this season seems different. The Nuggets are deeper, and have been more impressive in their wins over LA, even if they were in the regular season.
The Lakers can coast as long as they want as long they turn it on when April comes around. Still, you have to wonder, yet again, about the mental intensity of the team if they sleepwalk their way through every game with a contending team.
Then you remember this team got taken to the woodshed in three games against the Rockets (two without Yao) and still won the title. This isn’t a dominant team. And that ring on their finger means they’ve earned the right to dismiss anyone they want for now.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18